Mostly NFL Notes: Talking T.Y. Hilton and a look around the league in Week 14

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
T.Y. Hilton has scored six times over his past six games and saw a whopping 19 targets during Sunday’s win over Cleveland, when he hauled in nine catches for 141 yards and two touchdowns during the second half. Joe Haden is a bit overrated (Pro Football Focus graded him basically average in coverage entering this game), but the Browns have allowed just 6.4 YPA this season, which is tied for the third lowest in the NFL. Hilton is on pace to finish with 1,594 yards and nine touchdowns during the year of the short receiver. He’ll be a top-10 WR on all draft boards in 2015...Hard to believe Josh Gordon hauled in 2-of-7 targets for just 15 yards with Vontae Davis inactive...The Colts have 13 fumbles over the past three games, which is pretty insane considering they’ve managed to win all of them....Reggie Wayne somehow turned eight targets into five yards.
Odell Beckham Jr. secured 11-of-15 targets for 130 yards and a score (he also rushed for nine yards and attempted a pass into triple coverage). He might cost a second round pick in drafts next year...Meanwhile, Rueben Randle got nine yards on three targets...It was a worst-case scenario for Rashad Jennings owners who saw he was surprisingly active Sunday and started him, as he totaled three touches while Andre Williams ran for 131 yards and a touchdown...I could’ve actually posted this last week, but I’m happy with my biggest bet I made before the season.*
Arian Foster totaled 148 yards and a score, but his day could’ve been bigger, as Ryan Fitzpatrick and Alfred Blue both stole touchdowns inside the five-yard line...Cecil Shorts somehow gained three yards on nine targets, while Marqise Lee looks like an interesting flier not to forget during drafts next year...Over the past three games, Denard Robinson has gotten 99 yards on 35 carries...J.J. Watt didn’t score (he entered with as many touchdowns as Le’Veon Bell and Calvin Johnson and more than A.J. Green, LeSean McCoy and any player on the Raiders), but he did tally three sacks and batted down a ball.
Justin Forsett was in line for a horrible game, as he was on the sidelines “nursing a knee injury” midway through the fourth quarter. He suddenly returned, ran in a score and then had a 44-yard rush during the team’s next possession...Mike Wallace totaled 2,450 yards (and 18 touchdowns) during his second and third years in the league. He’s averaged 48.9 yards over his past 10 games.
To call this person the worst driver ever would be an understatement.*
Cordarrelle Patterson didn’t see a single target, although he did lose a fumble on a kick return...While he’s totaled 31 yards in three games in between, Percy Harvin has now surpassed 120 receiving yards twice since joining the Jets, equaling the amount of times he’s previously done so throughout his career...Geno Smith’s first pass Sunday was a pick-six...Chris Ivory entered Week 14 with the third most broken tackles (41) in the NFL, more than*Le’Veon Bell, LeSean McCoy, Eddie Lacy, Arian Foster, Matt Forte and Jamaal Charles...What an ending in overtime.*
I must admit, I found it surprising the Saints were down 41-3 midway through the fourth quarter at home versus the Panthers...Over the last two games, Jimmy Graham has three catches for 25 yards on 11 targets. It’s clear his shoulder injury is serious...I play in a league in which the higher seed gets to cut the points in half of a player on his opponents team. I chose Drew Brees. Wow...Carolina had 271 rushing yards...After beating the Packers 44-23, the Saints have lost four straight home games.
I’m not at all familiar with the WWE, but “CM Punk” joining the UFC is intriguing. Moreover, it was a good card Saturday night, although I lost money on Johny Hendricks, who lost a controversial decision.
A.J. Green had a career-high 203 yards through three quarters...Mohamed Sanu entered with an NFL-high 12 drops and saw just three targets for 16 yards...Le’Veon Bell is on pace to finish with 2,368 yards from scrimmage, which would rank in the top-five of all time...Here’s a 94-yard TD catch by Martavis Bryant.*
Headlines of the Week: Man Gets Drunk, Sets Police Horses ‘Free’...Man Allegedly Attacks Dog In Portsmouth...Hamilton Family Left Corpse Upstairs For Six Months Expecting Resurrection...There Are 328 Human People Named “ABCDE” In The United States...Kick On Head Restores Rugby Player’s Sense Of Smell – And He Sniffs Out Major Gas Leak...Ohio Woman Kicked Off Welfare For Not Reporting She Was In A Coma...Teacher Orders Third-Grader To Unclog Toilet With Bare Hands.
The Rams have now shut out opponents in back-to-back games, as their pass rush has come to life after a strange slow start to the year. St. Louis has a 76-0 point differential over those past two weeks, and they also beat Denver two games prior. I bragged earlier about my Titans bet, but I have to say, I think I’m going to lose this one...The Rams dominated despite Greg Zuerlein missing two field goals (from 28 and 38 yards) and an extra point in the first half. Although when it comes to special teams, St. Louis did execute a fake extra point, and Tavon Austin did this...Also, in case Washington forgot whom they traded for RG3, Jeff Fisher reminded them.
This Joique Bell touchdown was pretty ridiculous...Calvin Johnson had a big game, which was nice to see considering he somehow entered with zero broken tackles on the year...Mike Evans is on pace to have 12 touchdown catches despite missing a game while being a rookie on a team that’s 2-11. He’s good at football.*
The Cardinals had scored just one offensive touchdown over their past 11 quarters, and that came in garbage time against the Falcons last week, but they beat a desperate Chiefs team 17-14 despite hitting pay dirt just once...The Chiefs STILL have zero TDs to wide receivers...Kerwynn Williams? Really? My advice is don’t start an Arizona RB over the rest of the year...Jamaal Charles briefly left with an injury, but I still don’t understand how he saw just 12 touches (in which he produced 111 yards and two touchdowns).
Song of the Week: CHVRCHES – “Under The Tide.” **
Sammy Watkins had more yards (127) than he had over his previous four games combined (105)...Not sure why Julius Thomas was active if he wasn’t going to play at all...Peyton Manning’s TD streak ended at 51 games (Sunday marked the first time he didn’t throw a touchdown since 2011), while Buffalo entered leading the NFL in sacks and recorded none...Fred Jackson led the Bills both in rushes and receptions, although that resulted in a modest 72 yards...C.J. Anderson, who recently became the first player ever to rush for 150 yards in back-to-back games in a Peyton Manning offense, entered Week 14 with the seventh-most broken tackles among all RBs (15) despite playing the 34[SUP]th[/SUP] most snaps. He was hobbled throughout Sunday’s game but managed to score three more touchdowns...This wasn’t exactly Rod Tidwell’s celebration, but Emmanuel Sanders looked done and then did this.*
I’m beginning to think the 49ers aren’t going to make the playoffs. In all seriousness, they are now 100 percent done. The offensive line has been a major problem, but Colin Kaepernick has taken a huge step back as well. I have to say he might be the athlete I’ve been most wrong about ever (although he entered this week suffering the most drops of any QB in the NFL - nearly three times as many as Tony Romo. Here I go making more excuses)...Mychal Rivera and Marcel Reece combined to catch all 14 of their targets for 173 yards and two touchdowns...Latavius Murray saw the 25 touches every owner clamored for, but it resulted in just 85 yards, but the 49ers haven’t been a huge disappointment because of their defense...Then again, Derek Carr’s 140.2 QB Rating was the highest of any signal caller in Week 14.
Police Blotter: Man Arrested After Using McChicken Sandwich To Assault Wife...Plumbers In Super Mario Masks Steal Water From Utility Companies...Woman Sentenced For Trying To Kill Husband With Fecal Matter...Car Thief Gets Out Of Jail, Steals Another Vehicle...Hostage, Nearly Released, Dies During Raid...Battle Creek Woman Wakes Up To Mystery Infant In Her Bed.
The 9-3 Eagles team didn’t have one player surpass 50 rushing yards or 40 receiving yards at home...LeSean McCoy somehow has just one fewer fumble loss (three) than touchdowns scored this season...Russell Wilson has 727 rushing yards. The second most by a quarterback is Cam Newton with 425.
Longread of the Week: ”How Not To Get Away With Murder.”*
As usual, the Pats avoided losing back-to-back games, although they were down 14-3 at one point...Keenan Allen got just three yards on three targets, as Darrelle Revis continues to dominate. Allen had totaled 17 catches for 225 yards and three scores over his previous two games...Rob Gronkowski is on pace to finish with 1,227 yards and 12 touchdowns (and a career-high 140 targets). He’s going to be taken in the first round of fantasy drafts next year.
Follow Dalton Del Don on Twitter.

Back