Man arrested for 2x4 labeled "High Powered Rifle"

I was an LEO there for 8 years before I moved to Canada. Now granted thins may have changed vis a vis enforcement, but we have a power of "discretion" that is often used

Nothing you posted went against mine - you need a reason for carrying it, and it has to be small is what we both said

I've already provided a link to actual legislation and you still need to quote Wikipedia? LOL

A knife above a certain size that you can't provide an adequate explanation for.

When I say something I tend to provide some proof as to my reason and most of the time it's a link rather then quoting long passages.

Wikipedia is OK but if needed I can quote other links but it explains without going into too much detail.

I believe it's 3" right? So you can carry a 3" knife in your pocket and if a cops stops you you will be in no trouble?

How do they determine the difference?

Here I carry a pocket knife every day about every where I go. It not carried as a weapon primarily but could be used as one if needed.

Provided you have cause you will be fine

Even if you don't, as long as you are not overtly carrying it for defense you will probably just have to forfeit the knife. That's how I typically applied it.

Now if you are a known dirtbag....that's another story

"Why do you carry this blade sir?"

Because I use it to cut things and a pair of scissors don't work near as well and are a pain to carry around.

So I guess I'm going to going to see old bailey.

Cut what exactly sir? What is your profession/hobby/reason beyond "cutting stuff"?

Our knife law and the key word is concealed.

However I do have a permit to carry a concealed pistol but that is for a pistol only and does not apply to the other weapons listed here.

However you can carry as big a knife as you want as long as its visible and this also applies to a gun.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Same as Canada pretty much, but we have by laws to take into account too - much in the same way states have different rules on carry, possession of firearms

That's a good reason to carry a small blade

Not got one I just cut string and meat and what every else needs cutting.

It looks like I'm defiantly going to see old bailey.

Not at 2200hrs in a bar it isn't!

Reasons have to be environmentally consistent " totality of circumstances"

Only if you are carrying it in a capacity inconsistent with stated purpose - see above for an illustration

And as an aside if you wre this obstructive and vague with me at a street level then yes you would

I think if it was in your bag that you'd been carrying around all day, you'd be ok. If it was in your jacket pocket, then maybe not.

Yea I would be in trouble as I carry it every where I go.

The wife has rolled her eyes at me when I have pulled it out a restaurants to cut bread or such when the have forgotten to give us a knife.

It's a southern thing and about every man carries one as a tool every where they go. I got my first pocket knife at about 6 for my Uncles (it was tinny) and it was just something every southern man and boy carried. We even carried them to school back then and there use as a weapon was very rare especially between boys. Adults and a few older teen away from school did "get into it" with knife every now and then but it was not common.

Back