Kickboxing and BJJ, Kickboxing and Hapkido or Karate?

NameName

Dec 8, 2008
Hi,

I'm a female with a very light build (45kg) and no martial arts background. I want something that would protect me if I were to be attacked on the street.

I've been searching around for martial arts schools and the decision is so hard because if I sign up, then I'm locked into a 12 month contract with them.

I currently have 3 school options:

1) Do kickboxing and BJJ - I really like how the instructors teach at this one, but I hate BJJ because I'm a female and it's like 95% males. There's too much close contact and I find it embarassing. Also, I don't know if this would benefit me, as most people would outweigh me. I did a trial class and found that the moves are so hard for me to remember. Must sign 12 month contract.

2) Do kickboxing and hapkido - I like these two styles together. However, I don't really like the teaching method from this school. Seems more like a workout rather than the instructors going around teaching. I'd choose this one if it weren't for the lack of teaching from the instructors. Must sign 12 month contract.

3) Karate - There is this school which only offers karate and nothing else. Don't know if karate on its own is practical enough for street self defence. There's no contract for this one.

Any suggestions as to which one I should do?

Back