Jeep Grand Cherokee Check Engine Light?

mama

Jun 29, 2008
My 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee was out of commission for about a month because it wouldn't start. I had it towed to the dealership, and got it fixed 3 days ago. They replaced the CAM Sensor and the CAM Drive. Don't ask me what those things are, I have no idea how cars work. They told me I had to drive it 100-150 miles before I could get my state inspection sticker done. I guess if I had gone before then it would have failed. Yesterday (so 2 days after I got it back, and about 100 miles later -- right before I was going to go try for my inspection sticker), the check engine light came on. I called the Jeep dealer again and they wanted $95 to run a diagnostic on it. Google searching told me to do the on-off-on-off-on thing to pull the codes in the odometer, so I did. I got P0138 which I looked up and apparently that's something to do with the O2 sensor. Is the O2 sensor related to what they did with the CAM sensor and the CAM drive or could it possibly a result of not running the car for a month? I know that it's probably totally unrelated, but I don't know much about cars so I was hoping someone could help me understand instead of me just blindly accepting what the dealership says.

On a side note, I had some bearings replaced at that dealership once and then they needed replacing again a short time later (another shop found this problem) so I brought the car back to the original shop and put in a warranty claim on the work they did previously. While they were fixing it they broke my axle, but made me pay for that and claimed they were doing me a favor by not charging for the bearings again since the bad axle caused the bearings to go bad in the first place. I WISH there was another Jeep dealer nearby, but there's not. Between past experiences and differences in pricing and quotes I just don't trust these people.

Back