[Japan] Name in Japanese.

J13

Feb 27, 2008
Hi,

Does anybody know the Japanese Kanji for the surname Peel e.g. John Peel.

Thanks.

Somebody who might be able to help is actually in Japan at the moment, so give her a couple of months and she will get back to ya on it

BOOKSIE!!!!!!!

There won't be a kanji for a foreign surname. The best best would be to spell it phonetically using katakana. Pi-ru would probably be about the closest approximation!

Indeed. There are no translations for foreign names. They just phonetically translate (or try to) them. For example, Smith would be "Su-mi-su". No kanji. Only blocky Katakana.

PL

It is possible to write your name in kanji rather than katakana, but you'd just have to pick out the kanji yourself that have the correct phonetic readings. Foreigners who become Japanese citizens have to start writing their surname in kanji, so it certainly is possible.

OMG! I found this!

Here: http://hkuhist2.hku.hk/studentprojects/japan/1997b/app1.htm

William Peel 貝璐 : Eighteenth governor of British Hong Kong (1930-35) who had to face the diplomatic reality of the Japanese invasion of China and the rise of nationalism in Hong Kong. During his governorship, the automatic telephone connecting system was installed, which marked the era of communications on the island side. In addition, the China Motor Motor Bus was franchised, and the Tung Po Tur temple was erected.

Is one of those symbols the Japanese for 'Peel' or is it another language like Chinese?

Cheers.

I've no idea mate! I've always been told that foreign words are written in katakana rather than kanji. I guess you could just find the kanji for a (fruit) peel, but whether that would actually make any sense to use as a name in Japanese is questionable! Probably better to find someone with more knowledge than me

I had someone online convert my name into Chinese kanji, he did it by finding the origins of Joseph and translated that as Tian Jiang, and just used He phonetically for my last name. Dunno if it was authentic or anything, but I'm guessing that is how you would do it.

woa, it looks like a mixture of chinese korean and japanese ITS LIKE SPANGLISH

Spanglish, I don't speak that, but according to my spanish teacher I speak Germanic Spanglish-German, English, and Spanish. English is my first language, I'm going to take American Sign language, and Japanese next year. Sorry couldn't help you now Johnny

Back