Israel Blockades Lebanon

Finaly, someone pulled their finger out and said something.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5197544.stm

http://voanews.com/english/2006-07-20-voa2.cfm

So who would win a submission fighting tornament Hezbollah or Israeli troops, certainly there would be less civilians killed.

The UN can't do anything more than say things, because the USA would veto any attempt to take action - like sending a peace-keeping force into Southern Lebanon, for example.

Wouldn't it be amusing if a peacekeeping force went without the US' approval, I would laugh and laugh and laugh.

It can't happen. A UN peacekeeping force can only be sent on the say-so of the Security Council, of which every permanent member has a right to veto any decision.

A non-UN peacekeeping force is another matter, but who's going to organise that, and what sort of credibility would it have?

The Rastaman idea was probably better!

Are you suggesting that the problems of the Middle East could be solved by smoking some herb ?

but wouldn't it be hilarious to see the French, the Brits, maybe a few Italians go despite the US' veto. Oh we can but dream. The look on Bush's face would be priceless.

30 Israelis killed, of which 15 are civilians. This is a civilian/military ratio of 1:1. Of the 300 Lebanese killed the vast majority are civilians, I dont have exact numbers but there is no way that 150 of them were Hezbollah personnel.

Well I certainly don't advocate the use of drugs, and smoking is very bad for the health; but compared to blowing each other to bits I'd say that sitting down together and sharing a spliff would be the lesser of two evils.

The look on Bush's face is ALWAYS priceless.

Someone pointed out that he looks like a toddler which has just had a dump in the potty and is looking at it's mum for praise. I think that is an excellent description.

But he also looks just like a chimpanzee.

For sure! Just look at the Dutch for example.. the only thing they fire indiscriminately is hollandaise sauce, and the only extremists you'll find will be in the red light district..

I am moderately surprized no one is hopping up and down about Bush's comments caught on audio at the G8 when he thought his mic wasn't recording.

I expect that America will slowly start cutting ties with Isreal, but frankly that will take a while- at least until my generation or the one that comes after me steps into political power. Right now, America is still controlled by the Baby Boomers politically- and they have strong emotional ties to Isreal. Caused by guilt over the Holocaust and by the ties that were set into place while Isreal was still weak and truely depended upon us for support. Time has changed, Isreal is no longer so weak that people fear its immenant disappearance.

It is time for America to step back and for Isreal to learn to get along with its neighbors in a meaningful way. I do believe that politically, Isreal thinks it can get away with what it does because America has and will support its every action. Which releases it from the responsibility of the fact that much of its current problems are due to its current policies. Yes, Palestine is creating its own problems in its dealings with Isreal, and no side is fully at fault. But I begin to think that Isreal won't be happy until its belief that everyone is out to get them becomes true.

Wrydolphin,

I think those are all good points.

It's clear that there are people on both 'sides' who don't want the conflict to end, and who will sabotage any attempt at a peace process.

When Hamas was elected I genuinely believed that it could be an opportunity for both sides, if the will for peace was there. Now I think that it is just too easy for those on both sides who don't want peace to keep the conflict going.

Maybe the USA removing it's 'blank cheque' is the only way to force Israel to seek a peaceful solution with it's neighbours - but it will only work if the neighbours are willing to reciprocate.

A stable and genuinely independant Palestinian state is the only means towards peace and security for Israel. But Israel has to bring that situation about. They must 'become part of the solution rather than part of the problem.'

Whether people agree or disagree with the way that the state of Israel came about, the fact is that it exists and isn't going to disappear, so that is the reality that we are dealing with.

How do you know that 150 of them aren't? I don't think you can trust their numbers any more than Israel's. That is the problem when you have a civilian military force like Hezbollah. How many are actually members or are aiding them?

Back