Is the IRS going to pay us interest?

ALYSE

Jul 9, 2008
Time-line of events:

August 3, 2009: My fiance and I bought a house. :)

October-somethingth: We learn from our real estate agent that we could amend our 2008 taxes to get the first time home-buyer tax credit this year instead of next.

So that same day we drive our happy little selves down to HR Block and file our tax refund for $5,800. The house was $58,000 so this is 10% of the value of the house. HR Block assures us that we do not have to send any additional info with the tax amendment.

December 14, 2009: IRS mails us a letter saying that they will need us to send them in many documents proving that we deserve this credit.

For 1 month I tried to fax it every day, so I finally called and they said the fax was having issues so I just mailed it.

January 19th, 2010: I mailed all the documents they wanted.

I called them almost every day from February 12 to today, and finally today they say that they have our documents and will be issuing the refund within 90 days.

Now, my question is, that since this is such a long drawn out process, and we are having to push our honeymoon back a year for this, do we get anything in return?

I've heard that the IRS has paid interest to other people getting this credit, so will we get the same courtesy? And if we do, what determines how much interest they pay us?

Anyone who is good at taxes, could you let me know?

Back