Is opening a hookah lounge a good idea?

tido

Oct 10, 2011
So let me start by saying i really enjoy nights at the hookah lounge. I know it is a unhealthy, but i just enjoy smoking and spending time with friends. Going to the hookah lounge is the only fun place for some one my age ( 19) because i am to young to drink. I enjoy it so much and i would really like to open one when i am done with college. Besides the money and everything else involved with opening a business, i am a bit scared of the health addicts of the United States coming down hard on hookah bars. Some states are already looking at bills that would ban hookah bars. I really do want to open a hookah bar, but whats the point if im going to get shut down? i live in Texas which is one of the few states that even allows you to smoke in restaurants and bars. Even though the State is on the smokers side, many of the large city have tight smoking restrictions found in all major city's across the US.

Do you believe that hookah bars will be banned nation wide? or do you think that only certain parts of the country will ban hookah lounges? any thoughts?

Once you turn 21 hookah will be a memory. These places are hang outs for kids. Not anything that most adults would frequent. I only know of one that has actually stayed in business over the years and quite frankly it is a dive that I would not send my worst enemy into. It is located around the corner (literally) from the college and is primarily a poor freshman hangout.

All in all. It's not a good idea.

I think you should keep it in the back of your head until you actually get out of college. I think starting your own business is always a good idea. Make sure you have what it takes though (like a lot of money to start it.) Anyway, a lottt can change in a few years, theres no telling what could happen so it's silly to make a final decision right now. Keep it as a dream, see how everything plays out in a few years and maybe ask this question again

G'day tido,

Thank you for your question.

Possibly, You would need to look closely at the level of regualtion around businesses concerning smoking and potential liabilit claims. You would also need to look carefully at the likely market for a lounge and the economic climate in the US which is likely to be lousy for the next ten years.

Regards

Back