Is my power steering fluid leak on my Audi A4 from the rack, the pump or the hoses?

SabrinaM

Aug 2, 2008
I have an Audi A4 3.0 that my Dad picked up for me at an auction. He had the engine replaced. But whoever did had managed to slice the hoses and hadn't put power steering fluid put in. I put in Power Steering fluid and had a hose replaced by a local mechanic. It was driving great for two days and then the noise (when I turn) came back. There was also a huge puddle under my car. I took it back to the mechanic thinking maybe the hoses had come undone. He said that it was the power steering pump and that the fluid was bubbling out of the cap. However, I took it home and have tried to get it to bubble out the cap and can't get it to do that. I fill it up and notice there is a leak when I run the car and when I leave it sitting. The puddle is in the center front of the car towards the right tire. Its clearly not bubbling out of the cap, so is my mechanic lying to me? I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I don't want to replace the pump if it is the hoses or rack that is leaking.

Back