Is my period heavy, and should I see a doctor?

Cameron

May 25, 2008
A little background info, i'm 16, I got my first period last year around July, and it started out normal, and light, (maybe because it wasn't regulated yet), but then this year around July I noticed that one night after dinner, my regular pad had become full, and when I say full I mean it was filled end to end, and it even bled through my shorts and when i looked when I got home, there was a large blood stain on the bottoms of my shorts (thankfully it was night time and poorly lit outside so no-one saw). Ever since my periods have been heavy every day after the first day I start to bleed. Until today, I wasn't really concerned, I just figured I had a heavy period. But Last night around 10PM, I put on a Safeway Super Long Extra Thin Pad, and woke up around 2:30AM this morning because it was bleeding through my pajama pants. I looked at it, and it was filled save for about 2 in. in the front. I got up to pee, and to change the pad, and when I went to pee, 2 large clumps of blood that were bigger than quarters (i guess they're clots? is what I read) came out while I was urinating, and several droplets of liquid blood followed. (btw the clots looked soft not hard or anything). I'm anemic, so maybe my anemia is linked to this blood loss on a monthly basis. But I guess my question is, is my period heavy? And should I see a gyn? Or is this normal?

Back