Is my boyfriend taking advantage of me, taking me for granted or does he

CrazyJ

Feb 21, 2008
just not care about our relationship? I've been with my boyfriend for a little bit over a year. When we first started dating, he was very charming, he opened doors for me, brought me food at work, would always tell me I was the most beautiful girl in the word, would help me put on my jacket if it was cold outside, take me out to dinner or the movies, tickle me, or do anything to make me laugh.I was very attractive to him because he dressed nice and kept his beard and go-T shaved and said that he loved spoiling his girlfriends (when he was in relationships with them) and that he works on cars too......During that time it seemed like it was the perfect relationship...
We moved in together 2 months after dating because we were the type that we couldn't go a day without seeing each other. 10 months down the road, is when things really started to change. He stopped taking me out, and when we did go out, I was the one that was paying 90% of the time. We both have full time jobs so we both work very hard and we split all our bills in half so its equal. (i.e.rent, electricity, etc). He also stopped complimenting me, when we did go out, i would really dress myself up to make myself look pretty and for him to see that. That stopped. He barely opens doors for me anymore.
Those are just some of my problems with him, but my biggest problem that we have been fighting lately over is the fact that when he gets off of work, he just comes home and sits on the couch and plays video games or watches tv/movies which leaves me to do majority of the house work, vacuuming, washing dishes, laundry, scrubbing and mopping floors, cleaning mirrors, cleaning the toilet/tub/sink, cleaning up the cat litter on the floor that is all spread out, dusting, anything that you can think of.. the list goes on. He sometimes does laundry, dishes and takes out the trash but he thinks thats all there is to cleaning. We have fought numerous times on helping around the house and for a couple days its okay, but then a week later, i'm back to where I was. I dont expect things to be spotless, but I mean c'mon if you see something on the floor that shouldn't be there, shouldnt you at least pick it up? After we fight he continues to tell me he'll help out more but he is not proving himself...And about the compliments when I ask him why he doesn't tell me I'm pretty or beautiful anymore he just says "you already know you are, so I shouldn't have to tell you." The very last fight we got into about all the things I listed above, was a nasty fight of swearing at each other. I was so broken hearted that it feels like he is not trying to improve on anything. And he said "ask me when you want me to do something." But I shouldn't have to ask, he should just do it on his own, right?
The 2nd biggest problem that I have is that I feel like he doesn't appreciate the things I do. I cook him dinner (not all the time) but when I try new recipes and cook it for him he never says thank you. Or when I take him out to dinner or a movie or wherever we go, he never says thank you. And weve gotten into arguements about that and he says he'll try to say thank you more or show me that he appreciates the things I do for him but so far nothing...I also told him in our last 2 fights that if he doesn't stop being lazy and if he doesnt start taking care of his responsibilities, then he'll be signing a new lease next year after our apt lease is up...

I feel like he is taking me for granted, taking advantage of me and just flat out does not care about our relationship. Am I right or am I doing something wrong because I am getting no where in this relationship. I am at my breaking point and have exhausted all options. Communication does not seem to click in his head.. I am frustrated, feeling lonely and tired of having to do majority of the things myself. Am I just better off by myself?

Back