Is Mercedes-Benz really that bad?

Tibet

Dec 4, 2010
I am thinking of getting a Mercedes-Benz. I don't like BMW. I think BMW is too common. There are lots of people who buy BMWs and they think they are all that because they drive a 2000 BMW 3-series, which in my opinion looks exactly like a Honda Civic except for the front grill.

Anyways, I am thinking of getting a 2009-2011 Mercedes-Benz CL550 4MATIC. I really like this car. They are stylish, they are rare, not so many of them are made and it seems to fit me well. It's a coupe version of legendary S-class basically. It's serious enough that I can drive it to a serious meeting and it's sporty enough that I can get some pleasure off it when I'm not working.

Problem is I hear Mercedes-Benz is horrible at reliability. I hear people who buy Mercedes-Benzs are douche bags. Well what am I supposed to drive? BMW is too common, it has no character. Lexus is not sporty and the design looks like a Toyota. I don't know what car to get anymore. I am a busy guy so I need something reliable.
Micheal: Yeah I heard about S550 beating Prius in the environmental department too, however I'm pretty sure S550 and CL550 have the same engines because CL550 is based on S550.

Heres a couple cars i recommend (even though idk your price range) Infiniti M56 x, Maserati Quattroporte, Cadillac CTS-V, Porsche Panamera, 2011 Audi A8 L, Hyundai Equus, or the Mercedes Benz S-class (s63 AMG) they are actually somewhat reliable compared to other models. If you give me the price range and what you want in the car just put it in the question/info?

The issue with getting an audi unless it is the A4 is that they are notorious for being unreliable, If you want a reliable car stay away from German (except for Porsche) but if you want a great driving experience get a German car.

@EJY, he is looking to buy CL550 and you talking about Maserati who is famous for not being reliable or Hyundai who is famous for being rubbish? my brother has C63 for almost 3 years now and my dad had E class long time ago and both cars are great and never had problems with them, it just depends on the way you treat it and drive it. if you dont like BMWs then go to Audi, i have S4 is great, stylish and fast, but you probably wont go for it cuz you considering Cl550, so i say go for A8 or wait for the A6 which will come next year, or stick with Merc and buy E63 or S63, the problem with the CL, that its resale value is horrible. but if i were you, i would go for the CLS63, its very very rare, all new for this year, and it simply gorgeous

Mercedes is class! I own a Mercedes and it just depends how you treat it, how you drive it, maintenance. Pay a little extra for the better gas, fluids, parts, etc. I have not had a problem with mine at all. I don't like BMW either. Good Luck!

Anybody who thinks they are "all that" because of the car they drive is a douche bag. A car is just a car and unless you were responsible for designing it you don't get to be overly proud of it. That said, there are some nice Audis out there.

Mercedes is far from being unreliable in the 90's and late 80's mercedes was rated number one in quality and were amazing but in 2002 to 2005 mercedes wasn't the best in quality, except for there s-class g-class witch are really expensive cars and all amg's. Now in 2007 they are back to 4th in quality under Lexus, Infiniti, and Porsche. Mercedes is pretty much coming back with great cars there amazing, and sadly BMW is now one of the worst, my friends dad is a tow trucker and says that most cars he tows are BMW's and least are Mazda. I live in Canada and we don't even have a lot of BMW's. The mercedes CL is a great car and you should definitely buy it if you have the money. The Mercedes S550 was rated the most green car in 2007 and beat the toyota prius in the UK. You could also get an audi A5, S5, or the RS5 witch is faster and more sporty then the mercedes but doesn't have the message chairs, and isn't as luxurious. I personally like the CL more ( they are both AWD).

Back