Is it legitimate and legal that DISH NETWORK blocks viewing of channels,...

AleidaWiese

Feb 13, 2011
...including non-cable ones? I have been wanting for a long time to ask what it's the purpose of this happening, and if it's legal: Just about every month, DISH NETWORK (which is the company providing cable in our building to all tenants and which is paid by the building owner), decides to yank off the air any particular channel. For more than a month they took off local Fox channel. Brought it back, only to have it off again for at least three months. Then it was Univision's local Spanish channel. Then it was NBC's local channel. Now it's a Hispanic local channel for at least three weeks now. And just this morning we have learned that ABC's local channel has been yanked_precisely less than two weeks before the Oscars (Academy Awards).

I am not familiar with whatever new laws there may be, nor even if this has to do with the law which came up at beginning of 2000's in which a sort of monopoly was allowed and which had been prohibited for nearly a century: Permitting any news media owning many outlets at the same time had been prohibited till then.

PLEASE, help me to understand what's going on? Thank you.

Back