Im trying to introduce an 8week old ferret into my home where I already have a 1yr

Tami

May 16, 2008
old ferret. (both males).? Ive read up on all the correct ways to do this & at 1st I thought it was going quite well but now my 1yr old has started constantly biting at the babies throat (no blood or punctures) and while biting he tends to drag him around the room by the throat. This scares the crap outta me! The little guy is always making "noises" while being bitten but he seems to be pretty vocal all around so I cant tell if its him expressing pain. He always seems to be trying to get away but after I break them up sometimes he'll go back. What should I do? How long will this last? Is it eventually going to stop? I hate seeing it since the baby is SO small!! I don't know if I'm "protecting" him by breaking it up or just delaying the "bonding" process?

Build a fence between them and let them meet through that.
if they seem ok then put the older male on a lead because he is
more likely to hurt the younger one. let them check each other out and don't push them
also, make sure that they are de sexed otherwise they might get territorial

Is your older male intact?

If he's neutered, let him assert his dominance over the kit. As long as the older male doesn't bring blood or make the kit poop himself, then they're fine. It's hard to watch sometimes, but the kit needs to know who's dominant, or this could cause problems when he gets older.

Back