I'm having trouble recording my guitar, anyone have any tips?

billym

Jun 3, 2008
My problem is that when I go to listen to the track I cannot make out anything, it's either a lot of bass that drowns out the sound or so much distortion and fuzz that you can't make out what's played, or even both. I'm just looking for some guidelines with recording because I know nothing about it and my band and I are anxious to get our music out there. If it helps the style of music we play is metal so the sound I'm looking to achieve from my guitar would be like Trivium's or As I Lay Dyings. My current rig is a Mesa Triple Rectifier 150 watt tube head going into an Orange ppc 4x12 cab loaded with Celestion greenbacks. The mic I'm using is a Sennheiser e609 the hangs from the cab facing the area between the center and outer edge of the speaker (closer to the inner edge). The mic goes directly into a m-audio fast track ultra usb interface and from there it goes into my laptop where I use the program Cool Edit Pro to mix every thing together. I'm not looking to spend anymore money, I'm just looking for a couple of guidelines with the equipment I'm using. I can send an audio sample if it's needed to diagnose my problems. The guitars I record with are a Gibson les paul with burstbucker pro pickups volume and tone all of the way up and an ESP Alexi Laiho signature with an EMG hz4 pickup for the bridge. On all recordings the bridge pickup is used, never the neck. Thank you for your time.

Back