I need an interesting topic for a college speech on Technology?

david

May 11, 2008
For one of my classes in college we are required to come up with a 7-10 minute speech that is both informative and persuasive. Besides this we are encouraged to use some sort of visual aid (like an interesting object to pass around the class or something like that). The speech needs to be about technology, any piece of technology really.

In class we definined technology as "the process by which humans modify nature to meet their needs and wants."

Author Landgon Winner further defines it as three categories- apparatuses (your actual tangible and usable devices), technical activites (skills, methods, procedures, and routies, e.g. cellphones are tech but so are all the skills necessary to design, manufacture, and support them), and social organizations (any institution or network that support and enable the use of apparatuses and techniques, e.g. schools, governments, medical centers, armies, factories, etc.).

So I basically am just looking for an interesting topic and since it is persuasive I need to go into the speech with the mindset of this is what most people think about topic X but this is what I think about it and will persuade them to think Y about the topic X.

The topic can either be serious or funny in nature and topics in past classes have included makeup, lingere, xbox kinect, world of warcraft, and alot of other "silly" topics. Besides that bonus points for including suggestions for visual aids, or other things to incorporate into the speech!

Thanks!
Nick I like that. I'm very introverted but definitely not because of tech. I also thought about Technology as Escapism with video games, and social networking, and stuff like that. How people are basically always wired in now to avoid having to deal with other problems in their lives. What does everyone think of this?

Back