I keep wanting to get an overpowered bike for my first bike. How big of a mistake...

Josh

May 11, 2008
...would I be making? Here's the thing. I kind of want to just buy a bike that I'd be happy with for the rest of eternity. My first thought was to get a 600cc and throw a turbo in it after a couple years when I want something faster. Then I read that nobody makes turbos for 600cc bikes because everyone just buys a new bike when they have a 600cc and want something faster.

Now I'm over here looking at Ducati streetfighters and superbikes like an idiot.

I just would really like to get a bike that I'm going to be happy with forever. If I had to mod it later to make it how I wanted I would be fine with that.

I already asked what to look for in a first bike. What I got from it was light weight was #1 most important thing. And low power is an extremely distant #2. Maybe if I got something a little faster than it should be but still light weight?

Feel free to tell it to me like it is. I probably need to hear it so I don't get myself killed lol.

you control the bike, not the other way around. if you don't understand that in practice, you shouldn't ride

know how to work a throttle, brakes, clutch, and shifter? good

get what you want and don't ride like an idiot. bikes are only as dangerous as the riders atop them

Are you already a motorcycle rider? Do you have the necessary experience? Power is nothing without control. A buddy of mine got a superbike that lasted him three months. His injuries healed, but we picked up what was left of the bike and put it into trashbags. Discipline in riding is more important that all-out pavement burning power. If you can answer these questions honestly, then go get your superbike.

It sounds as though you're asking us to tell you something that you already know. And that would just be a monumental waste of time, wouldn't it?

Sorry to say it but your first bike will NOT be the want to keep forever! As you ride more you will grow to want another & then another. So I suggest that you start with a smaller bike that you can control & learn how to ride & enjoy then move up to something faster & stronger.

Back