I have an arguement with my wife. she says that any electrical gadget made for

GouraswamyK

Mar 20, 2013
220 volts can be used in a? country, where 110 volts are in vogue, without a conversion adopter. My arguement is it cannot be done and it can be used only with an adopter/ conversion electrical mechanism. can any body, throw light on this and say, who is correct.

Gouraswamy krishna murthy, Bangalore, India

If its a purely resistive device, like a hairdryer it might run that way. Not efficiently and output would be considerably diminished. Any fancy control circuits, especially with chips, probably won't work or will fry instantly. The plugs themselves are different and that is for your safety. Since you had to ask, you don't know enough to even try to southern engineer that equipment safely. Tell her to stop being so cheap and pay what it takes to do it safely.

read the label on the gadget or the gadget's power supply / plug....it will say what voltage it should be connected to and whether it can be used with more than 1 voltage range...instruction paper / booklet that came with it would have info too if you still have it.............dan

You are correct. 110 VAC is 110 VAC. 220 is 220. No matter what country you're in. Some countries use 50 HZ and some use 60 HZ. You need to transform the voltage.

Back