how to take steering wheel off 1997 cadilac?

Pat

May 14, 2008
the engine won't turn over not even click with a charged up batery every thing else works (lights and door locks ) the siren goes off so I cut a wire to stop the siren I can't even put it in nutral to push it . one man told me he had a couple of cadilacs that had the same problem and there was a small broken wire going to to the ignition switch that was broken he soilder it and it worked that makes sence to me I have the air bag off but I am having trouble getting the steering wheel off I have a pully on it I tightend it and hit the center of the pully several times but it won't pop loose i scared to thighten it too much and stip the threads on the steering were I have the 2 bolts screwed in Is there a trick to getting it off. I have taken steering wheels off before and never this hard any ideas

I have never had to use a puller to remove a steering wheel, i just bang the outer ring hard with my hands going the whole way around. Then i just grab the wheel my hands directly across from each other and give it a good yank toward my chest. That may just be that i am a big guy with plenty of arm strength, i just know that it will come off as long as you have removed the lock clip and nut. Make sure you turn the attaching bolts in as many threads as you can to get a good hold. If they go all the way through get nuts and put them on the end that is through the wheel. This will keep them from pulling the threads out, the other thing is to bang it with a rubber mallet. A good shock will help the two joined parts release from each other. That is a press fit with interference, it needs plenty of force and a jolt to break it loose. Good Luck! The bad wire may be the security relay.

Back