How To Keep My Relationship Fresh and Happy?

BLugosi

May 13, 2010
Hi there, my name's Byron :)

I'm eighteen, and I have been with my girlfriend for about seven months.
Well, she's not... officially... my girlfriend, I suppose. Neither of us ever actually asked the question, or said straight out "We're going out", but we are a couple.
We both wear rings for each other (a birthday present I bought her, and then bought one for me to wear too), and we've been regularly hand-holding, kissing and further for over half a year. My point is, she knows she is my girlfriend, and I know I am her boyfriend.

Her last partner broke up with her over a year ago, because he was unfaithful to her and had decided he didn't want to be with her anymore. He was a jerk, in my opinion. She and I have always been very close, but it was only last year that we developed a romance.

My only problem is this:
In my past dating life, I've been with girls for no longer than six months, and then it would get dry and boring for both of us, and we'd decide to break up. My last girlfriend (I've had three before Eva) was a 'drama-queen' type of person, and scared the hell out of me repeatedly with some of the things she did until I had to break it off to save my own sanity. We aren't on the best of terms now.

I really don't want this 'short relationship curse' to happen to my current girlfriend and I. We have more in common than I have had with any of my previous girlfriends, and I feel that we are really very well suited to each other. To the point that, down the track, marriage does not seem like a bad idea.
But I'd like some help here. Recently, I've started to feel a few times me growing tired of the relationship- like it was too hard work. I think this was just my mind playing tricks on me, because I very soon came to realise how happy we are, happier than I've ever been alone or with anyone else. It's just little things like that that frighten me a little bit.
So my question is this:
How do I keep what we have fresh, prevent it from going bad like has happened before? I don't mean to say that it was the fault of my partner in any of those previous relationships. Far from it, I just think that in those cases neither of us knew how to keep a relationship going for any long period of time without becoming bored or unhappy with each other. But I want to know how to do it, how to be a better and happier boyfriend, so that the same thing doesn't happen with Eva and I. She's very important to me, and I don't want what we have together to end, 1. Because we are both so happy and are having so much fun together, and 2. Because the last thing in the world I would ever want to do is hurt her.
I'm not the most experienced in this kind of thing, and so any advice or help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys :) Oh, and sorry my question was so long- I'm not terribly good at condensing :p Thank you!

-B.

Back