How far out have you ever been?

I must say when i've gone through tougher times ma has been a great help.
But speaking as someone with 2 people close to me suffering with depression hang on in mate and don't be afraid to talk to people , if all else fails go and give your 2 year old a cuddle ,it works wonders

Yesterday was an off day. I thought to myself, sometimes no matter what I do, I always feel like I'm paddling up stream against a downstream current. Then I thought to myself, at least there are no alligators in the water. Sometimes its good to put things in perspective. Much respect to the Vets who make a very courageous decision to put there lives on the line. And for those who have had abuse, don't be afraid to talk about it. For those who cant get it together, we are allowed to f up at times as long as we don't hurt others.... in martial arts we struggle against ourselves to be able to do things that we once were unable to do. Nothing is constant. Everything changes and with effort we can all kick harder and higher.

Sudden death of my mother at 54, really, really messed with my head. We hadn't talked in nearly twenty years. I realized that for everything that had happened in my life I had some things that needed to be said.

What got me through that stretch was:

Good friends of many years
Getting my motorcycle endorsement and riding a friends bike whenever I could until I bought my own.
Finally a bit of luck.

That was a few years back and my life is in a good place. I've a large amount to be thankful for. I'll take a few days off later this year, fire up my bike and go visit her grave. Get that last part of the conversation out of the way.

Indeed it is. That hour and a half when you can lose yourself has been a real help.
But still...it seems temporary....when the problems pile up, all that supposed control and level headedness seems to go out the window. I guess there's just a limit where your brain just goes "blleuurggh" and cuts out for a bit.
MAP has been a great help too.
If I could I'd invite about 50 people for a pint.

Just invite me, I'll have 50.

Cuddles from the kids are the answer, Bassai has it right. My little daughter can the worst day better in moments.

Mitch

Something to bear in mind for the next MAP meet, eh?
I find martial arts incredibly helpful, hitting stuff, moving the whole body, kiai, it all burns a lot of mental and physical energy that has probably kept me from cutting myself (happy to count myself an EX cutter), though I do still abuse myself in other ways (such as diet and the thoughts I allow into my head.) For me it's been a life saver. But I think I've spoken about that in another similar thread so I won't repeat any more. It's funny how martial arts can go toward "self preservation" in other ways besides the obvious, though.

Don't you think a little more than a pint is necessary for 50 people? Unless youre Jesus of coarse...

Everybody has their own way of coping with reality. If you haven't suffered from an addiction or been close to someone who is an addict it is easy to judge. I'm not saying everybody judges, but when ignorant people jump on the hater bandwagon it pisses me off.

As for my story, my addiction didn't involve drugs, but it still affected my health, family an social life. Besides my immediate family and my GF I have really told anyone what I did for 3 years after highschool.

I have always been socially awkward and in my younger years it meant that I had few friends. Most of the time I felt like a loner. I suffered from depression all through out highschool with no one to talk to. Unforunately I had a tendancy to "clam up" when talkin about emotional things, so it was always difficult to talk to my parents.

My mom had developed melanoma when I was a sophomore ( 2nd year of highschool ). It was a minor tumor in her leg and it was removed with no problems, or so we thought. My last year of highschool the cancer returned. This time in her lymph
nodes. She went through experimental treatment *chemotherapy. It was tough watching her in and out of the hostpital. Again it was thought to have been removed completely. A few months went by and it returned again. This time she had developed tumors in her brain and the cancer had also spread into her lungs. At this point she chose to stay home to spend her last few months at home with her family.

Having dealt with depression throughout highschool and loneliness I had to seek out a way to escape my problems, the worst of them being my mothers sickness. A friend of mine had introduced me to WOW and that is when my addiction began. It was a way for me to escape the real world. I played nearly 40 hours a week If not more. And that was on top of a full time college schedule. I dropped out eventually. My father got me into the union working as a carpenter an I was working 40 hrs a week, but as soon as I got home from work I'd be at the computer playing WOW.

I think in the course of 2 years I had about 130 days worth of play time on my characters. I stopped going out completely, the few friends that I had stopped calling. And the worst is that I completely ignored my family, even my Mom. All I ever thought about was WOW.

This is the part that sickens me. Even to this day, when I think about it I can't help but to break out into tears. My mother passed away, and I had never really made the effort to spend time with her. Even when she had chosen to stop treatment so she could atleast be at home with her family. I really hate myself for it to this day, I feel like such a piece of crap. So since then I've been living with regret.

Between highschool (2005) and about 2-3 years ago I had gained almost 100 pounds. My eating habits were terrible, my joints ached, I felt like a turd. Then for some reason I just decided to quit playing videogames, stop feeling sorry for my self and change my life. Now I weigh a fairly healthy 200 pounds and probably in the best shape in my life

I know a game addiction probably isn't as bad as a drug addiction in terms of how dangerous it can be to my health. But I honestly would give my life if it meant I could spend time with my mother again. I still hate myself for it to this day and I don't think I'll ever get over it.

Sorry for the long and probably unreadable story, I just felt like contributing.

I was looking for a new physical hobby and after having tried several other things Martial Arts is what really stuck for me. I had always been interested in MA I just wish I had started it sooner, the confidence it had given me would have helped tremendously.

I would not say that a video game addiction is trivial, anymore than gambling or cutting or over-eating/food avoidance. They're all symptoms of a greater problem. I feel for you, and hope i don't have to deal with anything close to that.

To this day, anyone who asks, I tell them to stay away from WoW. Most can deal with it, but if you're even slightly competitive it'll catch you and before you know it you'll be spending all your free time - and some of your un-free time - playing it.

Kids - stay off drugs.

Adults - stay off WoW.

Addiction is addiction. It's only different from most drugs in that cocaine will kill you quicker. I feel for you though. When my parents divorced I almost never saw my dad, even though he was only a couple of miles up the road. When I found out he had cancer.... I still hardly ever saw him :/ I didn't see him somewhat regularly until he was in hospital, and even then I read for the first couple of weeks while he spoke with my mother and brother. Wasn't until it was clear he was dying that I actually started speaking to him.

Was I addicted to something? No. Well, maybe yes. Just my comfort, really. I was just complacent and lazy. Out of sight, out of mind. If it's any consolation to have it pointed out, at least you had a reason to not spend time with your mum, even if it was a video game addiction.

I tried WOW a couple of years ago. Guess I was in a similar place to the usual person who takes it up. Bored, depressed, lonely. I joined to play with a friend who I almost never saw because he and his wife were on there a lot. I played it for about two weeks, must have racked up about twelve hours or something on it, before ditching it. I found it utterly mindnumbing lol. Strangely I consider myself kinda lucky that it's not my kind of thing, I've heard some seriously messed up things people do to play it.

One of the guys I knew on their used to play ALL the time - more than I did. He and his wife were always online, no matter which time of day it was. Both of them were unemployed and his wife was always pregnant. Newbaby every year. I really felt sorry for the kids but y'know what can I do besides tell em to stop playin so often?

My father who is deceased once told me in a conversation about socializing with a group or going places.He stated that he always was able to do things and go places alone and enjoy himself.He said this is one of the most important things a person needs to learn to do in life.First be happy with yourself and not to have to be in or follow some group or individual. Then it becomes clear in your mind what you are really seeking to find.

Back