How do you remove tar from shoes?

LeenEng

Nov 6, 2010
Paint thinner if it's just on the bottom, u didn't say what the top side is made of so I want make any suggestion 4 that.

A couple months ago I was roofing and stepped on some industrial tar and I am still not able to get it off of my shoe. It looks like poop and a couple of people have made comments on it. However, they're my favorite shoes and I don't want to throw them away. Is there any way to get tar off of shoes?

Try a paper towel with just a little bit of Zippo lighter fluid on it it gets the tar off my car rather well.

You can remove tar with Glycerin (sometimes spelled "Glycerine").

Rub some Glycerin into the stain. Allow to sit for about an hour. You may need to do this several times.

You can buy Glycerin at many drug stores (in the first aid section). Many health food stores also carry Glycerin.

Or you can buy it on line:

http://www.google.com/products?q=glycerin+now&hl=en&lnk=pruser&price1=&price2=8

-

WD-40 and some old rags. Spray the WD-40 on and let it soak awhile. Wipe of the dissolved tar and spray again. Keep at it until you get all the tar off. Then any degreasing cleaner will take the WD-40 off.

Solvents such as lighter fluid will dissolve tar. It may also ruin your shoes, of course, so be careful. If the tar is on the bottom of the show only, I would give it a try.

Solvents such as lighter fluid will dissolve tar. It may also ruin your shoes, of course, so be careful. If the tar is on the bottom of the show only, I would give it a try.

I've never tried it but have been told household ammonia is used to remove tar from just about anything. Soak a rag in ammonia and let that sit on the tar overnight in a well ventilated area. The next day use that same rag to remove the tar.

I've never tried it but have been told household ammonia is used to remove tar from just about anything. Soak a rag in ammonia and let that sit on the tar overnight in a well ventilated area. The next day use that same rag to remove the tar.

Back