How do i introduce a 1 year old golden retriever to my 4 yr pug & set rules &...

sarahschwartz

Mar 29, 2011
How do i introduce a 1 year old golden retriever to my 4 yr pug & set rules &...

...boundaries for the new fellow? I have just brough home a goldie who was given to me by a family that did not want him anymore. To my knowledge, he was left tied to the gate of the house the whole day, and wasn't really let of the leash. I want him to be an indoor dog, that has freedom to go in and out whenever he pleases. But at the same time i want him to have boundaries . He's not house trained and tends to drink copious amounts of water.
My female pug doesnt mind him around and is quite friendly with him. The goldie at this point in time doesnt really appreciate the attention so he's a bit jumpy around her. He's also severely underweight as he was only fed once a day and also as the previous owners were feeding him Adult supermarket bought dog food r mixed with rice.I've switched him to a vetinary brand food for pups.
He has some behavioural issues like jumping on the dining table when we're having dinner and such...i'm not really sure how to respond to his behaviour as i dont know much about goldies but am willing to train him and love him...I just want the best for this dog and i want him to be happy.

have a cage for him and when he does somthing bad dont hit him just yell a word that means no but most of time not no* because when you will say no he might think your punishing him and when he or she * jumps on the table or other dog say the word and lead him to his cage but also dont use the cage always for punishment try to get the dog to think its a safe place in the house i have a lab of about a year now and when he does somthing bad he goes off in his cage alone or evan because we are just letting him loose in the house alone when no one is home when we leave he goes off to the cage and sleeps in it and we have a cousine in it so its more confortable for him and now we dont evan leave the door shut anymore because we dont need to say when to go or leave the cage at night he sleeps out of his cage where ever he wants other then couches and furniture we dont want him on * we also have a mix teckel, mini pincher and chiwawa witch is just abit under 1 year ans we are slowly letting him loose around the lab when noone his him because the lab use to have the habbit or trying to pick him up front the neck to walk with him but this has stoped now , i work in a pet store and they have can you can buy as well called "PET CORRECTOR" its a red can that when the dog has a bad habit of doing you push it and it sprayed ou compressed air witch they do not like and believe it or not it has worked on all are labs problemes thanks

Sorry, I hate to break it to you, but golden retrievers don't belong inside. They're naturally outside-oriented dogs, as they were bred for retrieving game birds when the birds would get shot by the dog's owner. As for the pug and golden retriever, they should get along just fine pretty quick, and they should be able to work well together outside, unless you don't wish for the pug to go outside.

Back