How do I handle my cousin's ongoing man problems, when I myself am so

Sarah

May 11, 2008
unhappy, but she laughs at that? I am 34, divorced with a child. I got divorced due to domestic violence. I have been single ever since, and that was 10 years ago now (apart from 1 guy, more below). I just never found anyone who I liked enough to introduce to my son, and I would never have a sex-only thing with anyone. I've been busy with my son all these years but he is now a teenager. I'd dearly love to find someone but everyone in my circle, and who I meet, is taken already. Younger guys think I'm too old. Can't win!

I did date one guy in 2008 but he turned out to be married and when I think about it, it still hurts. He used the fact I have a son and could not sleep overnights with him, to lead his double life.

Now, my cousin is my best friend. She's 29 and single. She still lives at home and her dad pays for her car, her phone, her nights out, and her vacations. She dates a lot of guys, and has had fun with all of them.

However - now all her friends are getting married, she has become unbearable. She's joined a bunch of "find a husband" websites, and literally bombards me with texts day and night about "who" she should date next, and "why" a certain guy hasn't replied to her text straight away, etc.

I happily listen, even though I have enough issues of my own, but the extent to which she is now obsessed with finding a husband is ridiculous. If I tell her not to clog up my work email with all her messages, she'll start clogging up my Yahoo and my phone. She talks day and night about whichever man she's talking to online. I recently said "Hey, you know I still think about *name of married guy* sometimes and it hurts so much" and she replied "LOL! Get over it!"

She's also starting to cut off members of our family who are getting married; she has another cousin who went straight from being a mistress to finding the guy of her dreams, and my cousin started screaming to me "where is her karma? Why doesn't God punish her for being with a married guy knowingly? I'm boycotting her wedding".

I think she is probably depressed, but how do I handle all this when I am still devastated about what the guy I was seeing did to me? (turned out to be married) Believe me, I spend HOURS talking to and advising her, before anyone tells me I am selfish.

Another thing is she always tells new guys she meets that she "had a bad marriage" - she's never even BEEN married! It's something she invents to get sympathy. This is the kind of thing she pulls.

Back