how can i adapt a snowmobile engine to a go kart?

Parker

Jul 29, 2008
I am planning on taking the motor out of a '79 skidoo blizzard and putting it in a go kart/sand rail. How would i go about doing this? Also if anyone has plans on how to build the frame it would be greatly apprecitated

sure you can.......takes time to install...... but it will work.
The first kart you build will take time but after you build one then it gets easier.
cant help with the plans i like making my own plans when i build. if you do make your own plans
leave room in case you mess up and the extra room makes it easier to use a wrench case you have to work on it later.

the engine and rear drive setup all has to be straight. the engine sheave must be center and straight to the driven sheave....keep in mind the driver and driven sheave is adjustable.....also you want the driveshaft coming out the bottom of the chain drive compartment must be straight (parallel to engine crankshaft) and secure with pillow block bearings or something similar....... the rear driveshaft should be heavy enough to take the power your putting to it. for example you might want to go with 4140 machine steel 1" diameter or else you could just make the driveshaft bigger and use mild steel
you'll figure it out once you get into it....put the fuel tank and fuel pump close together like the way the snowmobile is if you put them all too far apart it wont run right and you'll scratch your head wondering what is wrong. use an aftermarket air filter the shape of a small margarine container its more convenient. If i can remember right the blizzard engine is a liquid so you'll be alright you can abuse it all year round and it wont overheat. old lawnmower parts sometimes come in handy

Back