Hooking up dvd player?

ruthiejane

Nov 6, 2011
I am trying to hook up a dvd player to our tv. The cords on the dvd player are red, white, and yellow but on the tv it is red, blue and green. Now here is my problem. I have it hooked up and I either have sound and a black and white screen or I have color and no sound. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing is working for me. Maybe you guys can give me some insite. Thanks.

Most DVD players do have component video out (R/G/B) and since your TV has only component video input, that' s the only way you can connect them together.

So, get some extra cables.

If your DVD player has no RGB (component out), it must be really low-end. Then you need to buy an RF modulator, but it may be better to just buy a new DVD player ( $35 or so..)

The Red/White/Yellow are Audio/Video

The blue/green/red are component Leads

if either has a scart port, then you could used a Scart plug that takes the Yellow/Red/White leads
http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/audio_visual.html

The problem is that they are different generations of Technology
You will find fewer scarts, Audio/Visual and components as everything moves towards HDMI cables

I have this problem with an older DVD recorder, not being compatible with a newer TV, It had component and two HDMI slots for input
But the DVD recorder only hand The Red/Yellow/White leads

Technology changes so fast, that sometimes equipment is made deliberately incompatible with older stuff, to encourage you to buy all new.

Luckily places like Radioshack sell converters allowing you to join different cables

Back