Highlights of each speech from the new Pro Football Hall of Famers

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
The Pro Football Hall of Fame welcomed eight new members on Saturday night.
The enshrinement ceremony in Canton, Ohio was a typical mix of emotions, laughs and touching words from the new Hall of Famers thanking everyone for helping them achieve football immortality. And there was an enduring moment when Sydney Seau delivered a wonderfully touching tribute to her late father, Junior Seau.
Here are the highlights from all eight speeches:
Raiders-Bucs-Jets-Packers executive Ron Wolf
Wolf spent a bit of time talking about all of his stops as a personnel man in the NFL, but lingered a bit longer on his time with the Packers. That's where he became famous, and he finished his speech with a "Go Pack Go!" He hired Mike Holmgren, traded for Brett Favre, signed Reggie White, and built a Super Bowl champion. When Wolf Wolf, who could be a bit gruff at times, cut his speech short at less than seven minutes.
Wolf's quote to remember: "At that time, there was always the threat to players from other teams, that if they didn't shape up, they'd be traded to Green Bay. We worked hard to eliminate that stigma. Suddenly, players wanted to come and be part of football's most illustrious franchise."

49ers-Cowboys OLB/DE Charles Haley
Haley was genuine right from the start. He began telling a story about driving a golf cart on the green during a trip with former 49ers owner and his Hall of Fame presenter Eddie DeBartolo, and he let an expletive fly during the punch line. He talked about his bout with manic depression. He cracked jokes about his family, and punctuated most of his statements to the crowd with "guys" like he was talking to a small group of friends in Canton. His impression of Jerry Jones' drawl, as he told the story of arriving in Dallas as a free agent, was hilarious. He had the crowd rolling from the start to the end. Nobody enjoyed his time on the stage more than Haley did.
Haley's quote to remember: "I am truly blessed guys, I've played with some of the greatest players ever in the history of football, and I've learned a lot. The one thing I learned from all these guys is unselfish play. Team matters. We need to go back to that. It's not about the individuals, it's about team."

Vikings C Mick Tingelhoff
Tingelhoff, the tough longtime center of the Vikings who never missed a game his entire career from 1962-78, didn't speak. He has had health issues, including memory loss, according to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, and declined when presenter and longtime Vikings teammate Fran Tarkenton asked him if he wanted to say thank you. Tarkenton then had one of the most touching moments of the night, breaking down in tears as he gave a short speech for his friend.
Tarkenton's quote about Tingelhoff to remember: "Mick is a man of little words, but a lot of action. He's so proud to be in this class of 2015. He waited 37 years to get to the Hall of Fame."

Chiefs G Will Shields
As you might expect from an offensive lineman, Shields didn't do much to make himself the center of attention. He simply wanted to thank everyone who helped get him there. Shields spent a lot of time thanking his family. His father got teary-eyed as Shields spoke about how he was a mentor, as did Shields' wife when he thanked her.
Shields' quote to remember: "I'm standing here today being honored because of each of you. So when the opportunity presents itself in your life, choose to be a difference maker in this village."

Chiefs-Bills-Panthers-Colts executive Bill Polian
Early in his speech Polian thanked NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, which drew uncomfortable silence and a few boos. Polian made sure to thank not only the usual suspects, but took time to thank the groups of behind-the-scenes folks who help all teams, such as the scouts. He thanked old players like Peyton Manning, who flew in for Polian's enshrinement, and spent extra time thanking former Colts coach Tony Dungy (he joked that the religious Dungy caused him to clean up his vocabulary) and former Bills coach Marv Levy, who he said he owed his career to.
Polian's quote to remember: "Thanks to [prominent owners he worked with], and for all their fellow owners for creating the world's greatest sports league, the ultimate meritocracy where a dream, talent, character and the willingness to pay the price is the only requirement."

Raiders-Buccaneers WR Tim Brown
Brown went way longer than most of the other speakers, at more than 31 minutes, as he told the story of his career. He said the only time he ever scored four touchdowns in a game happened to be when Notre Dame was at his high school recruiting another player. He ended up going to Notre Dame, won a Heisman Trophy, and he is now the ninth player in history to win a Heisman and make the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He spoke of overcoming fumbling on his first play at Notre Dame, and fighting back from an injury his second NFL season to establish himself as an every-down receiver. He also listed all 20 quarterbacks he played with. Yes, 20. Brown had a nice moment near the end when he talked about the late Chester McGlockton, a friend and teammate with the Raiders who introduced him to the woman who would become his wife.
Brown's quote to remember: "I lost my dad back in 2011. I was over at the autograph signing today, and I was signing, and this kid came out of nowhere*— he wasn't in line, he came from the side*— and he handed me a picture. And when I flipped it over, it was a picture of me, my mom and my dad at the Heisman Trophy ceremony. It was a picture I had never seen before. To me, that was a sign to let me know my dad was here with me tonight."

Chargers-Dolphins-Patriots LB Junior Seau
There was a moment of silence for Seau, who committed suicide in 2012, before the video presenting Seau into the Hall of Fame was played. Sydney Seau narrated a video of Junior Seau's career. Then during an interview with NFL Network, Sydney Seau provided a wonderfully touching speech about her father.
Sydney Seau's quote to remember: "My dad was more than just a person, he was a light in general. He was someone that brought something to the table nobody else could. He was charismatic, he was a huge entertainer, always on, always fun. Just a passionate human being."

Rams-Steelers RB Jerome Bettis
Bettis got the biggest cheers. Steelers fans dominated the crowd in Canton. Bettis waved a Terrible Towel and started a "Here we go, Steelers, here we go!" chant. "Now, I'm at home," Bettis said. Early in his speech, Bettis spoke to Seau's family and talked about their father's legacy. It was a classy move by Bettis. He was very comfortable in that moment, at one point humorously thanking Ben Roethlisberger for saving him by making a game-saving tackle after his fumble against the Colts in the 2005 playoffs. He delivered a fantastic (and more than 30-minute) speech that thanked his family, coaches and teammates and told stories of his career. He was on the verge of tears once, when he spoke about his late father.
Bettis' quote to remember: "[Bettis' father] taught me how to be a man. He had two jobs, he worked to the bone, never complaining, never asking for a break. All that while supporting three children. He was the strongest man I'll never know. It's because of him that I'm here. When my father sent me off to college he told me one thing, he said, 'Son, I'm sending you off to school, I don't have much to give you, but I have a good name. So don't mess it up.' Well Dad, I hope I made you proud."

- - - - - - -
Frank Schwab is the editor of Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @YahooSchwab

Back