Good things about Islam?

keep in mind slip, DC teaches the american military about muslim culture and history and could not himself find anything wrong with that blatantly ignorant and ill written screed.

oh, of course they are master slip, what a surprise that you're behind me in every post i make. are you now an anti-anti-religion evangelsit?

how about you actually contribute something to this thread instead of trying to come off as cute and clever.... because your not really either at this point.

quite a convincing argument slip

i haven't had time to read that encyclopedia of Islamic contributions which you've created there, so if my two feeble answers to the OP question have already been posted somewhere in that lot, forgive me

1. I believe Algebra's been quite important for the development of Western science.

2. I always found The Rubaiyat to be a profound piece of literary art.

well i'll do that when you can do something more constructive than follow me from thread to thread telling me how much i suck without making any intelligent argument as to why my stance/argument is so very bad.

ok, here, i'll even give you a bit of a leg up.
good things about islam? the contributions to algebra. ok, you're turn, go for the gold man!

There a few thousand words posted here already in several different posts that show you why what you think is an arguement is actually ill informed horse pucky.

Tekken,

No offense, but I wouldn't be throwing stones about forming original thoughts. The amount of US right wing radio rhetoric that I've seen you parrot in these discussion (including specific catch phrases) suggests you're not exactly re-inventing the wheel with your posts either.

- Matt

While at first the author of this article appears to be Japanese (given his name)... on further inspection it turns out this is not the case at all.

Not really that much of a surpise I suppose:

source: http://www.middleeastfacts.com/yashiko/

A very obvious bit of axe grinding.
In addition to coming off as rather disingenuous (after all Salman Rushdie didn't start writing under a psuedonym just because there was a fatwa with a fat price tag issued for his head).
It appears the majority of his writings are nothing short of anti-Islam diatribes. Why oh why does this not surprise most of us?

And of course there are idiots who also hold his views that didn't even manage to find out that he isn't Japanese:
http://www.freeman.org/m_online/mar03/sagamori.htm

ROTFLMAO!!!

DCombatives
Out of curiosity where did you find this editorial?
Care to provide a link to the site?

While I'm not saying Islam hasn’t provided anything, I cannot disagree with the above. The simple fact is Islamic terrorism and extremism is not a perversion of Islamic/Koran teachings, it is the expression of them! It would be quite easy to find Koranic justification for pretty much any extremist ideology and action; it is after all the source of them.

Slip lists some good information, but how many of the contributions were the direct result of the religion itself, rather than the people? The question is not what Muslim people have brought to the world, but what Islam itself has brought to the world. Big difference.

Sir Isaac Newton was a Christian, but we do not say that the law of gravity or his other scientific achievements were things Christianity brought to the world do we.

Do you feel a politician needs to justify his or her political beliefs?
Do you feel a scientist or a doctor needs to justify and give evidence for their beliefs, opinions and research in their area of work?
Do you feel Osama bin Laden needs to justify his beliefs and actions?

Actions derive from beliefs (as demonstrated by bin Laden), hence beliefs ought to be justified. If they are not, it is perfectly rational and justified to reject them and call them what they are, unjustified. Why should religious beliefs and claims be exempt from this? We do, after all, apply this notion to pretty much all other areas in life. On what valid reason should we dignify unjustified beliefs/claims?

Why try to seperate the people and their accomplishments from the times in which they lived which are necessarily connected to and reflective of their culture and their religion? To do so would be silly.

Attempting to seperate accomplishments from the time and culture in which they happened makes little to no sense. While Newton may not have the same relationship with his religion (if he had any) that many of the muslims listed above did that doesn't mean that he operated as an island unto himself immune from the influences and circumstances of his day and culture. The vaccuum that you're trying to present doesn't in reality exist.

A small point (which will probably get lost in the ensuing flamefest) , but not one of the muslims i've met in my 33 years to date has come across as anything but a normal person living a normal life trying to get along , non of them have ever expressed any kind of extreme beliefs in any way .
And before somone tries to say that i obviously haven't met many come to birmingham some time , there is a massive muslim community , i am aware that there are some radicals about , i even know where i could find them if i wanted to , but , thet are a minority.

i went down to the local falafel shop here in parkdale (toronto) and the owner kidnapped me and made me star in a video where i had to say his shop was the best falafel in all of toronto, even tho i did not believe it was true.

does that count as terrorism?

We would all look through the list of all good things that only Islam could have brought into the world, and rejoice at the marvelous achievements of our turbaned brothers and hermetically veiled sisters. Catholics all over the world would cry in shame for their pontiff and begin mass conversions to Islam. Benedict XVI would, for the last time in the history of the Vatican, appear on his balcony in order to tearfully, a la Jimmy Swaggart, admit urbi et orbi the ridiculous errors of his ways, abdicate St. Peter's throne and live the rest of his life as a humble dervish somewhere in Turkey, formerly known as Byzantium.

You don't have to read any further than rubbish like this before you see a crude attempt at stereotyping and poorly argued invective dressed up in flowery language.

Some Sikhs wear turbans as a matter of faith, not Muslims. As Slip and others have pointed out it is simply ignorance on the part of Westerners that denies the achievements of Islam and Islamic civilisations. And any Christians should be careful of saying the Koran can be used to justify almost any action; have you read the Bible? Have you listened to the interpretations people put on it? Dashing the babies of your enemies against the bases of cliffs? Snake handling?

Islam does not have a monopoly on fundamentalist nutters (I use the term out of a sense of deep respect you understand), nor is it without blemish or points a non-believer would find disturbing. However, these things are in the minority, and those of us who actually know any muslims have very different views to that nonsensical piece of diatribe. That's "diatribe" in the defecatory sense.

Mitch

Back