Given the current 'economic anxiety'. How's this for dodgy?

Haz

May 17, 2008
Yesterday I expected an online grocery shop to be delivered from Sainsburys between 9 and 10. ( I have got one every fortnight for past 6 months)

10.10 got a phone call from Sains to say my card had been declined. I could think of no reason why it should. She said every card being declined in the last fortnight had been a Halifax one ( my bank)
She tried the card again and it went through, the shopping got delivered.

I then rang up Halifax to ask why and the ' customer service representative' was overly profuse in her apologies saying odd things like 'that must have been so awful for you' ' that is so inconvenient and embarrassing'...

She then went on to say they had been having problems with all chip and pin cards for a 'wee while' and suddenly she noticed an important message on her computer screen...

I had been 'given' a credit card and she thought it would be good idea to finalise the application so I didn't get caught out again if ever there was another incident of my card being unexpectedly declined.

Later on I was telling my neighbour and guess what??? The same thing had happened to her 3 weeks ago. She doesn't have a credit card either.

Has anyone else experienced this? are they actually ALLOWED to do this?

Back