Girlfriend (future wife) can't stand my mother ... upcoming vacation?

JamesC1

Nov 19, 2008
So, me, my gf, and my parents are going on vacation out of state this winter ----

My girlfriend cannot STAND my mother....she's not alone, my mother is neurotic, nosey, loud, and aggravating. She constantly repeats herself, and always has to voice her opinions (convinced she's always right). She suffers from depression and her biggest problem in the world is her lack of friends and family, even though she's married to my father (though their marriage is everything but loving)

My mother LOVES her, but complains that my gf doesn't "talk to her" enough, which is true to an extent, my gf does not have normal conversations with her, she can't bring herself to (she becomes very silent around her) - my mother is constantly seeking attention from others and often says she's "lonely". She wishes my gf was more of a "daughter" to her.

My gf says my mother brings out the worst in her, and over Thanksgiving, it made her think she may regret agreeing to go on the vacation...

What do I do??? we can't cancel the vacation due to reservations and money put down, etc. and I plan on marrying this girl and she wants to marry me - but I can't see this problem going away any time soon.
unfortunately she HAS been somewhat diagnosed...but she refuses to get help or take medication because of side effects...
oh, my mother and gf spend a lot of time together outside of the house...that's one of the problems

Back