Ford Ranger Automatic transmission "hard" shifting problem?

Siconic

Jun 8, 2010
Ok, I am usually a very adept mechanic, however I know very little about Fords. I am trying to diagnose a 6 cylinder, 2004 Ford Ranger with a transmission problem. When in gear and accelerating, the transmission "jerks" and feels like it is shifting very hard... Not so bad that it feels like it is damaging the truck, but hard enough to feel it for sure.

The mechanic has told my friend that its her computer. However, I know a modern Hondas transmission shift points are controlled by the computer AND the ignition coil. Is this also the case with a Ford Ranger? If so, how can i tell whether or not its the ECM or the Coil? Also, is there a seperate ECM for the truck, and for the transmission, or is it all in one unit. Other than finding a manual from the dealer, I cant seem to find a lot of resources for the problem.
I should add for clerification that it shifts hard in all gears, and that it is almost head jerking. There is no other indication that something is wrong. No slipping, no weird noises, no difficulty getting it in gear, no jerk when it is put from neutral into Drive, nothing out of the ordinary except the head bobbing jerk when it goes from 1st to second, second to third, etc.

Back