Do you think you bring unique skills to the marketplace?

pdooma

Oct 13, 2008
If so, what are they?
If not, why not? What's holding you back from creating your resume to be a marketable asset?

As I'm reading the answers to my questions, I am really wondering if the difference between Liberals and Conservatives is their understanding of the job market and their place in it. Thanks for indulging me, it's been a long day.
I didn't say liberals don't understand the job market, it's that both groups have different understandings.
Peace. Welcome to the working world.

How inspiring.

I'm just kidding :)

Honestly, you're absolutely correct, that everybody should have a good resume on hand just in case.

I didn't know you were so interested in my life and career, Pdooma. But thanks for your interest.
I think it's unfair for an 18 year old straight out of high school to have their whole life figured out. Some people go to work out of school, some go to trade school, some go to college. People are influenced by their dreams, by their parents, teachers, etc. It is unfair to expect students to "have it all figured out." If they don't, then conservatives call them "liberal idiots" who don't know how to land a job.

As for me, I have an MA in History, from a state university in Ohio. I would very much like to apply for admission to a PhD program in history, possibly next year (one must apply one year in advance). I have been working on a paper to use as my writing sample. If I decide not to apply for admission, I am also interested in submitting a paper for a history conference or for a journal.
I'm enrolling in classes this summer for CAD and information technology and horticulture and landscaping, since I would like to pursue a career in historical preservation, which is part of the sustainability movement, if you like. I would prefer a career in both academics and in the workaday world, since I have many interests and I don't plan to ever retire, if I can help it. As for my present job, I work at a hotel as an hourly worker.

Do I have unique skills? Not that unique, considering many people have master's degrees and a background in retail and hospitality, like I do.

I'm a press brake operator. most people don't even know what I do. I bend metal and steel. For things u use everyday

my skills don't have to be unique, they just have to be rare enough that hard work can carry me the rest of the way. I have never been afraid of hard work

No one in today's educational system brings anything of value to the marketplace.. The only thing taught in high schools, colleges and advanced education is liberal ideology... As far as bringing anything unique... that stopped in the 70's when kids used to be taught to advance by hard work and merits, not advance by socially demanded equalities.

Kids today are NOT being educated, they are being indoctrinated in Liberal Ideology and cloned to be a democratic voter.

It used to be taught that FAILURE was the FIRST STEP to SUCCESS, Now no one fails as someone MIGHT get their feelings hurt so you advance whether or not you are qualified, thus makes for a very unqualified workforce that brings NOTHING to the table except a bunch of lawsuits from a bunch of pampered kids.

If I were still selling myself on the market, yes, I do believe I bring unique skills.

As a nurse, I was able to organize a heavy patient load and get everything done on time. I have a fine eye for detail and am quick to notice small changes that can mean trouble ahead. I am very empathetic and know when medicine is appropriate and when handholding is. I am accurate in my charting and can work without supervision. I can also supervise up to 5 subordinates.

Wanna hire me? I am a liberal, by the way. Do you think I understand the job market? After all, I worked in it for thirty years!

@ Todd, I used to operate press brakes and shears as well. I don't know why you got a thumbs down.

Lets see, I learned a whole bunch of hand-skills (carpentry, cabinetry, machining, welding, mold-building, painting, fiberglassing, etc) because I wanted to be a product designer.
Somehow I eventually ended up making display cases and exhibits for visitor's centers and museums.
Now you need to be proficient in Solid Works and rapid-prototyping machines to be a product designer.

But I can still build boats, cars, motorcycles, bridges, and pretty much anything else made of metal, wood, or plastic. I can also paint and restore cars.
So unless I lose my hands somehow, I'll pretty much always be employable.

@ Radical. I knew exactly what I wanted to be when I was in single-digit age. But I had no idea how to get there, and nobody in my HS knew what a product designer was.

But most kids DO NOT know what they want to be. For this reason, I think we should reduce the pressure for kids to immediately attend college right after HS.
If you want to be a lawyer or doctor, spend a year or two working at a law firm or hospital. Find out if that atmosphere is really what you want.
It's not cool to bumble about colleges for 6 years wondering what you are supposed to be doing with your life, all the while gaining no work discipline. School might give you the knowledge you need to get a job, but it doesn't give you the attitude you need to perform well at work. Kids come out of college int their mid-20s with no work experience, and they wonder why nobody will hire them. Someone who never had a job, can they be trusted to show up on time? Can they be trusted to work according to the company's schedule? These are just some of the problems with young college grads.

Back