Do you feel it is better for MMA fighters to fight in a cage or to fight in a

guitarman

Apr 20, 2008
ring like they do in M-1? Commentators sometimes talk about this. They say ring fighting is geared more towards strikers whereas cage fighting tends to be good for grapplers. Which one do you prefer- ring or cage?

A cage would be better for strikers if they simply were square. Fewer angles means it's easier to back someone into the corner and punch away.

The cage is better for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the safety of the fighters. I've seen guys fall out of rings in MMA, boxing, and kickboxing. It has occasionally led to serious injury and death in other sports.

It also helps with the continuity of the match. As much as I love watching Pancrase, Shooto, the IFL, and Pride, I hated it when fighters got too close to the ropes and had to be pulled back to the center. It was a break in the action and the resets were never perfect.

Finally I think it's also more realistic. A cage simulates a flat surface like a wall while ring ropes are very artificial and a bit too bouncy.

The main thing that sucks about a cage is that the chain link is a bit hard to see through at live events.

Back