Do u think its legal to take pictures of my car?

Yes, it is legal to take pictures of your car or anything else of you that is hanging-out in public places. Yes, you can receive a ticket if a law enforcement officer believes that there is probable cause that a crime has been committed. You are not likely to receive a citation and, if you receive a citation, you have the right to challenge a citation and provide justification to the trier-of-fact, a judge or jury.

If he reports it to the police, and testifies - then the photographs can be used as evidence - and - you can be charged. What he did was legal - did not invade your rights to privacy - is in the interest of public justice.

Yesterday I went to buy some Chinese food and I didn't realize that I parked in a handicap park, so suddenly when I came back to the car to leave an old man appeared and took two pictures of my car and my license plate, and I told him that I didn't realize that was a handicap park because it was dark and raining, he just say leave. My question is if I can have a ticket for this situation?

Yes, it is legal to take pictures of your car or anything else of you that is hanging-out in public places. Yes, you can receive a ticket if a law enforcement officer believes that there is probable cause that a crime has been committed. You are not likely to receive a citation and, if you receive a citation, you have the right to challenge a citation and provide justification to the trier-of-fact, a judge or jury.

Yes, of course it is legal to take pictures of people breaking the law. However, most places have rules that allow issuance of citations only if the violation is witnessed personally by an enforcement officer. In other words, the "old guy" can complain and send the photos to the police, and the police could contact you and ask if you need additional training in how to drive and park, but they may not have the authority to issue you a summons (ticket).

That said, some states ALSO have administrative (non-police) channels for handling violators like you. The "old guy" could file a complaint with the Registry of Motor Vehicles, stating the date, time, location, description of car, registration number, description of driver, and description of the violation, along with the photos. The Registrar may then summon you to a public hearing on the topic why you should be allowed to continue to have a driver's license. If "old guy" doesn't show up to state his own observations, subject to your cross-examination, and to authenticate the photos and what is shown in the photos, then the case may be dismissed. If this happens to you a lot, from many different complainants, then the Registrar may suspend your license pending proof that you have attended further driver training and passed a test on the relevant laws.

Back