Diving Bell and the Butterfly Help!?!?!?!?

Samantha

May 13, 2008
Why do you suppose that Jean leaves the description of the day he suffered the stroke until the end of the book? What effect does the suspension of this information have on the reader's impression of Jean?

Jean does not say that he is divorced from Sylvie, but he has taken up residence with Florence. If Jean was not divorced from his wife at the time of the stroke, how do you think his affair affects his mindset as he contemplates his new life?

Jean mentions he sometimes enjoys being cared for like an infant. Discuss why you think a 45 year old, adventurous man would make this statement?

Discuss the "coincidences" Jean mentions that seems to point to his current condition. Do you feel they were foreshadowing, or simply coincidences discovered in hindsight?

Discuss the role of Jean's dreams. Do they reflect Jean's new life or his psychological state as a locked-in patient?

Discuss how Jean's stroke affected his children. Jean notes that Theophile was with him the day he fell ill and is more withdrawn than Celeste.

I was very ill and missed when my class read this book and watched this movie... Please, please help me catch up!!!

Back