Did I fail to meet expectations for this promotion? Or did my boss?

loftly

Oct 17, 2011
I was promoted for a month, then told i had the job on wednesday in the 4th week, then i was demoted 2 days later during layoffs. The description of my job, and tasks all seemed very ambiguous, almost on purpose. When i asked for more clarification i was talked to like a child almost, without receiving additional information. I think it frustrated my boss i couldnt complete the tasks without help, but i had moved into a position i knew nothing about. I could complete them, had she given me enough info to determine which information was pertinent to complete a project that met expectations.

When i went back to my new position, they said i wasnt being demoted because of performance, they said i didnt excellent, but because of budget cust i needed to move back, and later i will be promoted again. Its been two weeks, and nada yet. I feel betrayed having been offered the new position in the last week, that i was demoted. They knew they were going to lay people off, and also demote me.

Who is to blame here? I feel teased, betrayed, and feel no trust for these people anymore. I would have felt ok if they had just been logical with me, told me why i did a poor job, or how i am not fit. But to be told i did well, when truly i must not have is disconcerting. It's not only belittling in how they treat me like im a fool, but also to assume i couldnt handle the critique of my performance.

Back