Day Trip from Naples/Capri While on Cruise?

nicki

Jun 4, 2008
Hello. My husband and I are due to sail the Mediterranean January 4-14, stopping in areas throughout Spain and Italy. While at the stop for Naples/Capri, we really wanted to do a quick stop at Pompeii and then go on to Naples to see the city. I feel like it's our only chance to see the famous Pompeii, and it would help to have a context when looking through the Archeological Museum. Am I trying to do too much for a 12-hour docking? I've never been on a cruise before so I have no knowledge how the disembarking process works, I had just read that it's not as fast as one would think.

The real issue I have here is that Royal Caribbean isn't offering a day trip that involves both stops, probably because we're traveling off-season. When I read my Rick Steves guide, he recommended holding out until you dock and checking some of the local places that offer day trips with more options for much cheaper. My concern is the time of year - will there be many other choices once I get off the ship?

I know my husband and I are capable of handling the local trains (we did in Portugal, London, D.C., etc in the past), but I've never had such a strict time schedule, so I'm worried that we would run out of time.

Help me past cruisers and those who have traveled to Italy in Januaries past.

Thanks for any recommendations. We really appreciate it.

Back