Cruisers vs. Sport bikes (Help)?

leon

Jun 3, 2008
So I got my first motorcyle last june. Got a 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250RL, love it. I went to St. Charles Motorsports for some gear this month, and i stopped to admire a few bikes on the show-room floor. They had a beutiful 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom. Amazing looking bike. Thing is, they are two very different bikes. A Vulcan is a cruiser (Wind in your hair, bugs in your teeth, relax, and ride) and a ) 2012 Ninja 650 (Other I looked at) is a Sport (Adrenalne fueled, heart pounding, leaning to turn. swerving, phantom of the streets) I simply am in love with the adrenaline and the feeling of going 80+ on a highway, searching for cop cars on the side of the road, shredding past cars, leaning way over to dodge traffic. But the ninja has its limits. No passngers can ride with me while i do stunts like that, and there-fore i have to drive my 18MPG car to pick up my girl. I also feel as if i'm always going to have to speed to have any fun. For long rides, the ninja is uncomfortable, and when i get off, obviously hurt a bit after all that speed and swerving. But I dont think the Vulcan can match the rush. Im looking to either upgrade to a 900cc+ cruiser (Any brand), or a 650cc+ sport (Preferrably kawasaki ninja) anyone help me in deciding?

Basically you're right. We're not talking cruisers vs sportbikes but cruisers vs standards. The Ninja is not a real sportbike but it's sportier, while the cruiser is for a whole different kind of riding. Cruisers are more comfortable, and tend to be safer, because they support a relaxed, laid-back style of riding. Cruisers are nicer for two-up riding, and for long distances. A REAL sportbike (like a Ninja ZX) gets really uncomfortable after 15 or 20 minutes (though younger guys don't mind as much).

I am not a cruiser person, I'm a standard person. But a friend of mine has an enormous Harley Heritage Softail--1600cc!--and I totally love riding it. I like canyon carving and it's no good for that, but for a day-long ride, a long camping trip or something, it's just excellent. It's just as much fun, but a different kind of fun.

So it comes down to: you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Maybe if you bought used bikes you could afford one of each! I mean, you don't play golf with just one club, do you? 8^)

You could always get one of each. No law says you can't have 2 bikes. Ride the one that fits your needs at any particular time. That way you have the best of both worlds.

Back