Cooking outdoors - would this work?

jasonsheil

Feb 8, 2011
Ok so I'm going backpacking in the near future and I usually eat cold so I don't have to worry about the weight of a stove+gas+pot+potholder. But I like a cup of tea now and again. So I was wondering if the following would work: Start fire, reduce to coals, use folded tin foil as intermediary, place cup (metal one obviously) on foil, boil water, add teabag, enjoy. Is this going to work? It means I don't have to suspend the cup over the coals or bring a stove, but I can still make tea/rice/soup/whatever. Right? Good idea?
I will likely not be camping in campgrounds as this will be a hitchhiking/travelling trip. I would just like to know if this setup will work, not whether its legal. Also, that soda can stove blew up a dude's hand.

I suggest for ease of use, control of temperature, light weight, clean flame that you purchase a folding metal stove enclosure, $10, and a can of Sterno, $4, with a small kettle, $10. The Sterno fuel can will last about one day of cooking with hot water. Generally, Sterno is sold in a two-pack, weighing a half-pound, not a back-breaking burden in your backpack. JetBoil propane is twice as hot and fast as Sterno alcohol, $100, and will last a couple of days of meals.

First off, you wouldn't need a intermediary. You can place the metal cup directly on coals. Whether its legal or not is up to the specific place you are going. Many places don't allow you to have open fires. A beer bottle can stove (aluminum bottles, like at football games) would be better. There is no way a stove like that would explode. The only way that could happen is if you put something like gasoline in there or something even more flammable in there and then had it sealed. Thats the way an explosion works, flame expands too fast for its environment. Denatured alcohol is what you are supposed to use in a can stove and that is not combustible enough for an explosion in any circumstance.

no, not so good an idea, some zones do not allow building fires at all. Still plenty of options for cooking that won't cost a bundle or weigh a ton either try a soda can stove.

@Well then it would work, per say but still a complicated set up. The soda can stove is completely safe when fueled and set up properly. send the link I can't find the story about one blowing up.

Back