College football trivia: Who won the title in 1964?

hogwild

Mar 24, 2009
Jake: Bonus question who won the title in 1977?
Reb: Check the 77 year,and you'll see I'm doing this on purpose. Arkansas doesn't claim the 77 title,but they could going by the criteria that Bama fans used in 64. I am sure this is not a Bama thing,but something that has happened on numerous occasions. I just picked these two years,cause Arkansas was involved

Arkansas

Actually it's a perfect example of everything that is wrong with the AP Poll back in the day. Arkansas was undefeated and the AP idiots still went with Bama. You could bring up a number of years like that but I'll stick to this question.

All I know about the '77 championship is Notre Dame was named champions by somebody, because Ole Miss was the only team to beat them that year and there are still fans to this day who go on about how Ole Miss beat the national champions that year. Some car dealership actually runs an ad which mentions it during football season.

There was no title, but Alabama finished first in the coach's and AP poll. I believe back then the final polls were released prior to some of the bowl games. Alabama fans claim like 50 national championships.

There was nothing wrong with AP poll in 1964. In 1964, ALL the final polls were made before the bowl games. Both teams were undefeated prior to the bowl games.
1977 and 1964 were different. The pollsters took their final poll AFTER the bowl games in 1977.

Back