Christians: Many say that John 8:58 is Jesus claiming to be God, as per Exodus 3:14?

JuliusO

Jan 29, 2011
----- ----- ----- -----
Exodus 3:14=

King James Bible
And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

New International Version
God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
----- ----- ----- -----

And here is the verse used to say Jesus is claiming to be God:

----- ----- ----- -----
John 8:58=

King James Bible
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"
----- ----- ----- -----

But when we look at what Jesus was talking about in verse 57 of John 8:

----- ----- ----- -----
John 8:57=

King James Bible
Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?

"You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!"
----- ----- ----- -----

We can see that Jesus was not talking about titles, or names, but with age and the length of his existence.

How is it then taken to be about names or titles, and how do you arrive at the context being as such?

And i am not comparing bible version, i am just including more than one translation/version for each scripture.

(Tags so others can search and answer: Trinity, Jehovah, SDA, Seventh Day Adventist, Mormon, LDS, Methodist, Lutheran, KJV, NWT, NIV, Baptist, Pentecostal, Presbyterian)

Thanks!!

Stick to the King James Version...

Which is why people generally stick to the King James version vs "new" - at least in my world. Yes, I know there was scripture prior to the King James, but it's the version I choose to stick with.

You don't see the Qu'ran changing...or the Hebrew Scriptures, Torah...or the Hindus holy book, Bagvadhgita, etc. - yet people constantly feel the need to update the Christian Bible to fit new generations needs every several decades or so. If people tried to do that with others faith documents there would be holy war, yet "evil, angry, hostile" Christianity takes it with a grain of salt.

Most Christians believe the Bible is our guide and comfort, but your heart of hearts always knows the truth on its own because we come from and are one with "I am". :)

Back