Christians: Judaism of Christ day: was calling oneself "Son of God" stating

ChrisM

May 13, 2008
equality with God? Or even calling oneself God themself?

Is the christian understanding of this (believing that Jesus is Yahweh) different from the original hebrew meaning - Son of God means equallity with God and not being The Almighty God?
@Fuzzy .. I appreciate your response but disagree on scriptural grounds

John 10:33
"They replied, "We're stoning you not for any good work, but for blasphemy! You, a mere man, claim to be God."

And which ever translation you prefer, still states here that "Son of God" who Christ is affirms equallity with God. Same nature

Phillipians 2:6
NIV
"Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,"

KJV
"Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:"
John 14:9
"Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?"

Collosians 2:9
"For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,"
Exodus 29:45
"and I have tabernacled in the midst of the sons of Israel, and have become their God"

2 Corinthians 5:19
"That is, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and has committed unto us the word of reconciliation."

That God was in Christ - That God was by Christ (?? ?????? en Christ?), by means of Christ; by the agency, or mediatorship of Christ. Or it may mean that God was united to Christ, and manifested himself by him. So Doddridge interprets it. Christ was the mediator by means of whom God designed to accomplish the great work of reconciliation.
John 1:14
"And the Word became flesh, and did tabernacle among us, and we beheld his glory, glory as of an only begotten of a father, full of grace and truth."

Exodus 25:8
"Then have them make a sanctuary for me, and I will dwell among them."

John 1:1
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
@Fuzzy .. I am not trying to enlighten you, I don't have that ability

I am only asking if the belief of the children of Israel in those days Christ walked the earth,
was considering oneself "Son of God" also calling or considering onself having "Equality" with God?

I believe yes on the basis of Phillippians 2:6 because no matter what translation, they all assert that Christ was in the nature or form of God. That is literal and clear as day. Being that Christ was the only man to be in God's own nature and that God tabernacled or dwelt in Christ, then that means exactly what the children of Israel picked up stones to kill Jesus for -- the assertion that Christ had equality with God

Jesus never called Himself "Son of God" but He did make it clear that God had given Him most although not all of His power.

Matthew 24:36

“No one knows when that day or time will be. The Son and the angels in heaven don’t know when it will be. Only the Father knows. :eek:

Jesus admitting to being the son of God and as some said, he publicly had said he was the son of God, did not signify equality with God; rather, it was an affirmation of his being subject to this God, to his Father. This has been said exactly this way in scripture!

1 Corinthians 15:27-28: For [God] "subjected all things under his feet." But when he says that 'all things have been subjected,' it is evident that it is with the exception of the one who subjected all things to him. 28 But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone.

Thus we read other places:
I Corinthians 8:6:
yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we unto him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we through him.

John 20:17:
Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

John 5:19-20 Therefore, in answer, Jesus went on to say to them: "Most truly I say to YOU, The Son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he beholds the Father doing. For whatever things that One does, these things the Son also does in like manner. 20 For the Father has affection for the Son and shows him all the things he himself does, and he will show him works greater than these, in order that YOU may marvel.
------

From the scriptures, the evidence is clear. This does not mean that all accept this, unfortunately.
--
Edit: Christ
We all have to determine for ourselves what we believe according to scripture. This is a must, and I am not your master of faith as you well know; I am only the master of my own faith, not that of others.

If you should like to enlighten me about your scriptural views, you are welcome to write.

Back