Choosing a handheld light meter for film photography. Need advice please!?

chris

May 12, 2008
Hey, I do film photography and my light meter in the camera does not work (no its not batteries, it just doesn't work). I do mostly landscape photography and photos of runners (on my cross country team) and I was wondering what I should get for a light meter. Something that does the job, doesn't have to be amazing. At the moment I am taking pictures without the light meter and 80% of my pictures come out fine, but it would just be easier to know what aperture for my shutter speed I should be using. Thanks!

My hand-held meter of choice is a Minolta Spotmeter M. You should be able to find one on eBay for $200.00 or so.

Although you didn't say what camera you're using its possible that the light meter can be repaired.
I've used Garry's Camera Repair - http://www.garryscamera.com - and Dave's Camera Repair -
[email protected] - with good results. Both are very reasonably priced.

Meanwhile, go here http://dgrin.smugmug.com/Tutorials/Shooting-Tech-and-Tips/Sunny-16-Rule-Estimating/3762805_fpgXr

If you use negative film - you can be "off" for a few stops and still is printable.

For landscape photography a meter with a spot meter is really useful. It allows you to meter different parts of a scene and choose the exposure accordingly.

Especially important with film. There old adage is for black and white, meter for the shadows and expose for the highlights. For color slide film, you meter for the highlights and cross your fingers for the shadows.

If you think you might ever do studio lighting, get a meter that has a built in Pocket Wizard trigger.

I use the older version of the Sekonic L-758DR. The version I have did not include the wireless transmitter and had to be purchased separately. Unfortunately, they are $750

If you are looking to save money, you might want to try to find an older Sekonic L-508 on ebay. You should be able to pick one up for less than $100.

Back