Cannot setup yahoo mail on iOS due to error from: apple.imap.mail.yahoo.com?

DrZ

Sep 19, 2011
Suddenly Yahoo mail doesn't work on iPhone4s, iPhone5 and iPad. All devices run the latest iOS version (6.1.3). So I deleted the yahoo mail account on the iPhone and added it again. Doesn't work because when adding the yahoo account I get the error:

The IMAP server "apple.imap.mail.yahoo.com" doesn't support (null) authentication. Please check your account settings and try again.

So I tried adding the yahoo mail account as "other" and manually setting up the imap and smtp servers. But then I get the error that it can't setup an SSL connection. If I accept to set it up as non-SSL it comes up with a timeout to the imap server.

POP connection works but this is just ridiculous. POP is back to the 90s: no folders at all. Then I can just use the PC where everything works.

I reset my iPhone and tried everything again but I still get the same errors. That plus the fact that this happens from 3 different iOS devices makes me think the problem is exclusively the yahoo server for Apple devices. I'll give it another week. If it doesn't work by then, I'll just cancel my mail plus account with yahoo and move to google. Everything seems to work just fine there.

Opened several issues with yahoo help... no answer. Seems that yahoo doesn't really care about its customers. Hmmm maybe I should write to Marissa Meyer...after I moved my account to google.

It is a mystery to me why yahoo is having such difficulties delivering a good customer experience on iOS. I just checked the internet and saw plenty of users out there with the same problem... Amazing how yahoo handles these things.

The yahoo mail app works just fine on iOS. But I don't want to start different mail apps in order to check the mail on different accounts...

Back