can i rent a car if my licence is valid but the picture has expired?

ricky

May 23, 2008
My current full british driving licence is valid until 2054!
However the hologram next to the picture states APR12 (april 2012).
Can i still rent a car without any problems?

You have been driving illegally for the past 12 months - a photocard is only valid for ten years, and you must then replace it. At present you do not have a valid licence, will not be allowed to rent a car, and if stopped by the police will get a fine and points for driving without a valid licence.

DVLA would have sent you a letter reminding you to renew the photocard - which makes me suspect that you may not have informed them of a change of address. That is another offence for which you can be fined.

No - the licence is not valid without the pic being up to date. They will not rent to you as they have no way to know that this is not just an old licence you kept after claiming it was lost or stolen
The use of your licence on the UK roads is illegal and you can be fined for it

You do not have a valid licence, nor have you for the last 13 months. Photo licences are valid for 10 years. regardless of valid till dates (That's just the date when you need to apply for a medical/age renewal; normally your 70th birthday)
DVLA will/should have sent you a reminder 2 months before the old photo licence expired, you either ignored it or you've changed your address and not told them (another offence)

Apply to DVLA for an updated licence.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

I don't think anyone has ever looked at that. I've had the same picture for almost 9 years

Yes at AVIS you need to renew with updated picture or you face a fine your licence is invalid £1000
but during DVLA opening hours and with a valid passport (£5.00) charge

Back