Can a power steering pump go bad and take out a rack and pinion? 1999

Confused

May 22, 2008
Chrysler Town and Country? Wife drives a 1999 Chrysler town and Country. 3.8. 150000 on it. Besides the belt slipping off once in a while we have never had one problem with the power steering. (replaced tensioner, idler, and bracket per TSB) She calls the other day to say PS doesnt work. Figured belt was off. Nope. There was never a noise, pulley turned normal, full of fluid, no leaks ever.

Took it in figuring it would be something easy. Well they replaced the PS pump. $375 it cost. Went to pick it up and they tell me that it still doesnt work best. WHAT? I drove it and it was no different. Absolutley no power steering at all.

They tell me the pump went bad and shot shavings down into the rack and pinion plugging it up. They "say" they flushed everything out with 3 gallons of ATF.

Tell me $611 more for the rack to be replaced!?!?!?

What do you think the problem is?

My concerns are there were never no previous warning signs to get so bad to plug the rack up. Id love to fix this cheap.

Is it worth fixing it or should we just take it in the rear and move on to a newer vehicle?

Back