BMW x5 versus Acura MDX versus Audi Q7?

Atanas

Nov 10, 2011
I have been looking around the market for a new SUV. I would love to get an x5, but a friend of mine that owns an MDX says that it is much better. Another friend of mine that owns a Q7 says that the Q7 is better. They both say that it has a horrible ride, no off-road capabilities whatsoever, uncomfortable seats, and the fact that it has an interior that is so boring, you might as well be sitting in someone's ear. They get all their "feedback" from watching Top Gear's review of the BMW x6. I beg to differ. I think the ride is just like in any other car. I also own a 2003 535i, and it is great car. We also both have different definitions of off-road. They think that the car should be able to go over 4 foot boulders. I just need something that can go over a little ice and snow. I would love to get an x5 but am having some doubts about the car because of their comments. So, in your opinion, what is better. An x5, an MDX, or a Q7?

I think they're all great SUV's, but if you're looking for best value for your dollar, it's definitely the MDX. Acura has a reputation of making options that you pay for with other automakers standard on their vehicles, their reliability is second to none, and the styling is (usually) stylish & classy. If I'm being honest, I have an Acura bias. Also if I'm being honest, I'd take the X5 over the MDX if I had all the money in the world. Just in past experience of dealing with German cars (Audi, can't speak for BMW) I'd choose my Acura every single time. The X5 and Q7 will have more AVAILABLE tech (pano roof, LED's in the headlights, automatic high beams) but there's always a line between what you really need, and what you don't. They're all great SUV's, I just think that the MDX comes out on top in terms of comfort, reliability, and value.

I forgot the most important part: don't listen to me, your friends, or whatever else anyone on YA! might say. Go test drive all 3 SUV's for yourself and see what YOU think, because YOU will have to deal with your decision.

Good luck!

Back