Best sport bike to get after passing test at 17?

JARED

Jun 3, 2008
So i passed my test back in the summer and have been riding almost everyday since. I started off on a scooter at 16 and moved straight to the 2011 Honda cbr 125 i love this bike more than anything and i am so glad i got it.
However i think i am ready for a bigger bike and i am settled on a sport bike, i love the riding position for my cbr at the moment but obviously its quite light and not the fastest thing in the world.
i have read many forums and things about 250s and am not sure about them as i'm not convinced there will be a difference.
I will be 18 in november and that means 2 years on the road, yes i have come off about twice and i am very careful and safe.
but in the end i am a guy who knows what he wants but can't find it! Could anyone recommend a good sport bike for me something, that of course has to look nice but that can beat my cbr at accelerating and keeping up its speed, i'm in no rush so i will try and get most experience but the time is coming to upgrade
my budget will be as low as i can get it but i will find a way to get the bike i want. I would very much appreciate your help, thankyou :)

Go for a 250r, a 600cc supersport is nothing more than a racebike with turn signals on it.

Buy a used Suzuki GS500cc. Not as fast as the 600s, but certainly not as slow as the 250s.

It's cheap and you wont cry as much. Because you'll certainly drop it. That's for sure. Everybody does.

Then after a few years, you can go for the "all around 650ccs". ninja 650 or suzuki 650 are cheaper ones.

650s are not as fast and expensive as the R600ccs or 1000ccs (yes, 600 is faster than 650) -- but 650 can still max you out at 140mph. but please try not to go over 85. please.

my usual riding pace is 80mph max. And Im still alive till now LOL

firstly congrats for passing your test
you are however restricted to 33 BHP for the next two years....
The two years runs from the date of passing your test not when you started riding.
Look for a bike that is designed to run at 33 bhp not a bike restricted to 33 bhp
Something like a vvt bandit 400 the cbr 400 rr or a the v4 400 NC series of bikes
Look at grey imports as they are going to be your source of bikes of this power or european market japanese bikes.

If you are going for new there are a couple you could consider
the ER6 and the Ninja 250 by kawasaki Honda cbr 250rr
Kawasaki are introducing a sub 400 cc ninja based on a twin aimed at the 33 bhp market and the changes in the law in January...

Also you have to be aware that you are very lucky as unlike other 17 year olds still on just a CBT as you have passed your test before january you only have to contend with the 2 year restiction and are not likely to get held up by the new intermediate class being introduced.
Your problem though will be getting insurance in two years time for a bike larger than 600cc as this size of bike will only be available to people over 24 years of age.. you will therefore not be restricted by law but by your finances.

Bite the bullet now and get something like the ER6 or the SV650 invest in Fully comp ins and get your no claims down asap and take your IAM test and get the discounts it brings you.

Ride hard ride far ride safe live to ride,
Get on your bike

Back