Atheist's opinion on the 2012 'prophecy'?

ZackSpires

Jun 19, 2010
I personally think it's bs mostly because the mayans couldn't even predict when their own civilization was going to collaps. Just wanted to know fellow atheist's opinions on it.

The closest I can come in believing in prophecies is " likely"
It is likely that someone has a wreck in the future driving 120 miles an hour through a city ;-)

• 2012 •

The 2012 end of the world scenario is a purely secular and Pagan hoax. No responsible Jewish, Christian, or Muslim leader supports any of the "prophecies".

One of several Mayan calendars is the Long Count calendar, which is reset to day 0 every 1,872,000 days or about 5125 years. The next reset date, by some calculations, is December 21, 2012. This is not a prediction of the end of the world. Here is what a Mayan elder says on the subject: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6300744/2012-is-not-the-end-of-the-world-Mayan-elder-insists.html

These predictions are scare tactics, conspiracy theories, and chances to make money from books and movies.

Ever since the Y2K and 6/6/6 (June 6, 2006) End of the World scenarios did not pan out, the scare mongers, conspiracy theorists, book sellers, and television executives have been touting the 2012 End of the World scenario. When 2012 does not happen either, I am sure they will think of something else.

Here is also what NASA thinks about the 2012 End of the World scenario: http://pwg.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/StarFAQ18.htm#q306

If you want a bit more information on the 2012 hoax, try: http://www.2012hoax.org

• The End of the World •

"But of that day or hour, no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be watchful! Be alert! You do not know when the time will come." (Mark 13:32-33)

Jesus told us in no uncertain terms that we were not to know when the end of the world would come but that we were always to be ready.

The early Christian Church thought that Jesus was going to return at any moment. Only after a couple of centuries did the Church realize that it may be 2,000 or 4,000 or 8,000 years before Jesus returns.

The Catholic Church wisely follows Jesus' advice and teaches that each of us should live as if we will meet our maker in the next ten minutes and that we need to work to make the world a better place for our 100 X great-grandchildren.

Do not worry about the end of the world. Trust God to make sure everything happens to plan. Just be ready to meet God at any time.

For more information, about what Catholics believe about the end of the world, see: http://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/ac0993.asp

With love in Christ.

It's crap. And don't dump this on the Mayans. They didn't predict anything. The 2012 nonsense has been perpetuated by people who couldn't tell you what part of the world the Mayans lived in, let alone what their beliefs were.

It's crap. And don't dump this on the Mayans. They didn't predict anything. The 2012 nonsense has been perpetuated by people who couldn't tell you what part of the world the Mayans lived in, let alone what their beliefs were.

The Ancient of days, the days of old collasp due to sin...they were greater than now, and knew more than now and what makes you think you know you will not. Jer.5:15-17 Jer.6:22-23 Jer.50:41-42 and look listen G-D is addressing the Whole Earth and all ___in it___and all ___on it__-think read Isaiah 18:3 down. He also ask you to call to mind Isaiah 46:8 down. and look at Isaiah 45:18 and note: 21 and 22

What it is all about is found in Deut.29:13-14-15 and Jer.11:8 Psalm 105:7-8-9-10 and then read Jeremiah 33:25-26 and in verse 26 THEM are those in Jer.5:15-17 and so on.

Who are we? Psalm 82:5-6-7-8 and we do not re-turn the Wheels with in the Tree of Life are truning in the wrong direction the generations with in generations only His anointed have His light seen in them. Jer.1:5-10 His Womb is Empty Here on earth Jer.10:20 Do you see and hear it?

As an Atheist, if you are one. You should not follow it anyway as it is based on Gods.

Their theory is based on their God(s) returning and destroying the Earth. They are set to return on said date. I don't believe in Gods hence I will not follow their future predictions. There have been predictions in the past and all have been wrong and all will continue to be wrong.

The Earth will go on living for another 5 billion years excluding asteroids. When the Sun expands and envelops the Earth.

I just read drakes comment above me and I think he or she has it spot on. If anything it would just mean a change as that is what their Gods did in their theory Earth carried on living but a new creation emerged.

Someone I have never met, from a culture that is not my own, made a prediction that I have not read, but have heard has been widely misinterpreted to mean something fundamentally different from what he intended, with a philosophy which was based in primitive superstition, and you ask what I think of it?

It's on the Internet, so it must be true.

It is "bollocks" basically. No other word for it.

Just watch Prof Brian Cox talk about it on YouTube. He explains how the Mayans made their calendars.

Not an atheist but I still think it is BS because the theology of the Mayan civilization indicated eons of existance. They thought one would end in 2012 (that is if we got the date translation right) and a new one would begin.

So, while I don't expect them to even be able to predict when new eons begin they sure weren't predicting the end of the world. They predicted the change of the world. Modern people just want something to get worked up about so they changed it to mean the end of the world.

The mayans didn't predict the end of the world in 2012, BTW why exactly should the mayan count time from the birth of jesus?

Their calendar just ended on that date, that's all

What amazes me is that Xians belueve this garbage too! They won't even look at the Dead Sea Scrolls (which has most all the same characters as in their Bible), because the DSS are not "scriptural", "rabbinical", nor "inspired." But they'll believe this Mayan junk?

The truth is, if these people were so darned smart, how come their culture is not thriving? Why are they not ruling the world. Believe me, if I could predict stuff (or if I was psychic), I'd have won the Lottery about 50 times already.

The Mayan rulers who went along the Mayan Calendar were led by a Clergy entity similar to the Judeo/Christian/Muslim one..

YOU OUGHT TO KNOW THAT NOBODY WAS ABLE TO DECIPHER ANY MAYAN SCRIBBLING!!!

Back