Are Paul Stastny, Brayden Schenn safe from deadline deals?

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
ept_sports_nhl_experts-325672456-1298819784.jpg

The problem with being GM Dean Lombardi is that the worldknows there's pressure to make The Move; you know, the one that's going to takethe Los Angeles Kings from middling contender in the Western Conference withoffensive deficiencies to within reach of the Stanley Cup after a deadlineblockbuster.

Lombardi's been patient in the past -- some would say to afault -- but this deadline feels different. Maybe it was the Ilya Kovalchukchase last summer that signaled a change in his desire to add big-money assets;then again, that wouldn't have cost the Kings a player.

Which is the problem with the trade deadline: If you want aBrad Richards or a Ales Hemsky, the Dallas Stars and Edmonton Oilers are goingto ask for one of the most precious items in the Kings' treasure trove. SoLombardi decided to let the world know via a text message to Eric Francis onSaturday that no, center Brayden Schenn isn't leaving at the deadline. Fromthe Calgary Sun:

"BraydenSchenn is not going anywhere," read the text from the Los Angeles Kings GM.

Clearlyitching to stop having one of the hockey world's most prized prospects linkedto almost every trade rumour involving the Kings, Lombardi told the Calgary SunSaturday the 19-year-old Team Canada star is off-limits.

Thatwon't stop Schenn from spending trade deadline day stick-handling the remotecontrol in his parents' Saskatoon basement Monday. "Obviously, that's nice tohear, I guess," said the Blades' stud of Lombardi's stance. "Obviously, it'sthe first time I've heard it. My name is tossed all over the place becausethey're looking for that dynamic player. So, I guess we'll have to wait andsee."

There's an HBO 24/7 special waiting to be filmed about playerswatching for their names on TSN and Sportsnet during deadline day ...

Then again, periods during Saturday's win over the ColoradoAvalanche, Lombardi told reporters this regarding Schenn, relayed by Yahoo! Sports'Nick Cotsonika:

"It would have to be really something significant. The wayhis stock has risen here with the world junior and what he's done, it wouldhave to be really special, and quite frankly, I don't think he's going anywhere."

"Don't think" vs. "not going." Hmmmm ...

There are mixed signals on Paul Stastny of the Avalanche,too.

Francis also passed along news from a Colorado Avalanchemanagerial type that "they will not trade Paul Stastny," despite his not beinglisted on Adrian Dater's group of "untouchables"in the Denver Post. (Matt Duchene, Erik Johnson and Milan Hejduk made thecut.)

Malkin To The Kings, however, not only doesn't buy the Avs'denial that Stastny is in play, but believes the newly reinvigorated BuffaloSabres are a team that's hot for him at the deadline. Fromthe Toronto Sun:

Newowner Terry Pegula, who wanted to win before he took over the franchise, hasgiven GM Darcy Regier the green light to spend to the salary cap to win aStanley Cup. That's not something the Sabres have always shown a willingness todo, so don't be surprised if they are a player on either Dallas centre BradRichards on Colorado's Paul Stastny.

Whilethe denials might be coming fast and furious out of the Rocky Mountains aboutStastny's future with the Avs, don't believe them for a second. Pretty muchevery player on that roster is available.

Our simian brains can't process the Buffalo Sabres adding anall-star center making $6.6 million per year through 2014 at the deadline. Butwelcome to Pegulaville.

Back